Richard Paul Evans
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Richard Paul Evans (born October 11, 1962) is an American author, best known for writing The Christmas Box and, more recently, the Michael Vey series.
|Richard Paul Evans|
October 11, 1962 |
Salt Lake City, Utah
|Education||Cottonwood High School (Murray, Utah)|
|Alma mater||University of Utah|
|Notable works||The Michael Vey Series and The Christmas box|
Evans graduated from Cottonwood High School in Murray City, Utah. He graduated with a B.A. degree from the University of Utah in 1984. While working as an advertising executive he wrote a Christmas story for his children. Unable to find a publisher or an agent, he self-published the work in 1993 as a paperback novella entitled The Christmas Box. He distributed it to book stores in his community.
The book became a local bestseller, prompting Evans to publish the book in this region. The next year The Christmas Box hit #2 on the New York Times bestseller list, inciting an auction for the publishing rights among the world's top publishing houses. Evans signed a publishing deal with Simon & Schuster, who paid Evans $4.2 million in an advance. Released in hardcover in 1995, The Christmas Box became the first book to simultaneously reach the number-one position on the New York Times bestseller list for both paperback and hardcover editions. That same year, the book was made into a television movie of the same title, starring Richard Thomas and Maureen O'Hara.
Evans has subsequently written 31 nationally best-selling books, including those for children, with conservative Christian themes and appealing to family values. His 1996 book Timepiece was made into a television movie featuring Naomi Watts, James Earl Jones, and Ellen Burstyn, as were 1998's The Locket, which starred Vanessa Redgrave, 2006's A Perfect Day, which starred Rob Lowe and Christopher Lloyd, 2016's The Mistletoe Promise, which starred Jaime King and Luke Macfarlane, and 2017's The Mistletoe Inn, which starred Alicia Witt and David Alpay.
During the Spring of 1997, Evans founded The Christmas Box House International, an organization devoted to building shelters and providing services for abused and neglected children. To date, more than 35,000 children have been served by Christmas Box House facilities.
- The Christmas Box Miracle: My Spiritual Journey of Destiny, Healing, and Hope (2001)
- The Five Lessons a Millionaire Taught Me: About Life and Wealth (2004)
- The Five Lessons a Millionaire Taught Me for Women (2009)
- The Four Doors (2014)
- The Christmas Box
- The Christmas Box (1993)
- Timepiece (1996)
- The Letter (1996)
- The Locket
- The Locket (1998)
- The Looking Glass (1999)
- The Carousel (2001)
- The Walk
- The Walk (2009)
- Miles to Go (2011)
- The Road To Grace (2012)
- A Step of Faith (2013)
- Walking on Water (2014)
- The Broken Road
- The Broken Road (2017)
- The Forgotten Road (2018)
- The Road Back (2019)
- Michael Vey
- Christmas Every Day, adapted from the William Dean Howells short story (1996)
- The First Gift of Christmas (1996)
- The Last Promise (2002)
- A Perfect Day (2003)
- The Sunflower (2005)
- Finding Noel (2006)
- The Gift (2007)
- Grace (2008), re-released as If Only (2015)
- The Christmas List (2009)
- Promise Me (2010)
- Lost December (2011)
- A Winter Dream (2012)
- The Mistletoe Promise (2014)
- The Mistletoe Inn (2015)
- The Mistletoe Secret (2016)
- The Noel Diary (2017)
- The Christmas Candle (1998)
- The Dance (1999)
- The Spyglass: A Book About Faith (2000)
- The Tower (2001)
- The Light of Christmas (2002)
- Woo, Elaine (October 13, 2011). "Margaret Tante Burk obituary: The co-founder of the Round Table West literary group was 93". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- "KUTV 2News "Person 2 Person: Richard Paul Evans"". KUTV 2News Utah. June 14, 2013. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- "Richard Paul Evans". Simon & Schuster. Retrieved 22 October 2017.
- Hunt for Jade Dragon (Official website) http://michaelvey.com