Richard Neil Inwood (born 4 March 1946) is a retired Bishop suffragan of Bedford.
|Bishop of Bedford|
|Diocese||Diocese of St Albans|
|In office||2003–31 March 2012 (retired)|
|Other posts||Archdeacon of Halifax (1995–2003)|
Acting Bishop of Southwell & Nottingham (9 April 2014–8 April 2015)
|Consecration||7 March 2003|
|Born||4 March 1946|
|Children||3 adult daughters|
|Alma mater||University College, Oxford|
Inwood was born in Burton-on-Trent and studied chemistry at University College, Oxford and theology at the University of Nottingham. Before ordination, he spent a year teaching in north-west Uganda and worked as a research and development chemist with Imperial Chemical Industries (ICI) in Manchester for nearly two years. He served in Sheffield, London, Bath and Yeovil before his appointment in 1995 as Archdeacon of Halifax. He was consecrated a bishop by Rowan Williams, Archbishop of Canterbury at Southwark Cathedral on 7 March 2003.
From 9 April 2014 until 8 April 2015, he was Acting Bishop of Southwell and Nottingham at the request of the Archbishop of York. As acting bishop, Inwood attracted media attention in June 2014 for revoking the permission to officiate of a gay priest, Jeremy Pemberton, who had legally married his partner in spite of a pastoral statement issued by the church's bishops. In August 2014, Pemberton had an offer of work at Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust withdrawn following Inwood's refusal to grant the relevant licence.
- Richard Inwood Esq (1946–c1975)
- The Revd Richard Inwood (c1975–1995)
- The Ven Richard Inwood (1995–2003)
- The Rt Revd Richard Inwood (2003–present)
- Number 10 – Suffragan See of Bedford
- Diocese of St Albans — Bishop of Bedford Archived 2008-10-04 at the Wayback Machine.
- Debrett's People of Today, London, 2008 ISBN 978-1-870520-95-9
- Who's Who 2008: London, A & C Black, 2008 ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8
- Crockford's Clerical Directory 2008/2009 (100th edition), Church House Publishing (ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0).
- "Diocese of Southwell and Nottingham - Bishop Richard Inwood Takes Temporary Charge"
- BBC News, "Gay wedding canon faces service ban" (Accessed 22 June 2014)
- "Bishop blocks gay chaplain's NHS job offer". HR Grapevine. 5 August 2014. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
|Church of England titles|
| Archdeacon of Halifax
| Bishop of Bedford
2003–31 March 2012
Tony Porter (Acting)
| Acting Bishop of Southwell and Nottingham
9 April 2014–8 April 2015
Tony Porter (Acting)
|This biographical article about a notable person in connection with Christianity is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|