Hough married the author Charlotte Woodyatt, who he had met when they were pupils at Frensham Heights School, and they had five children including the author Deborah Moggach, the children's author Sarah Garland, and Alexandra Hough, author of the textbook, Hough’s Cardio Respiratory Care.
Hough won the Daily Express Best Book of the Sea Award in 1972.
After leaving school, he joined the Royal Air Force at the beginning of World War II and received his initial flight training at an airfield not far from Hollywood. He later flew Hurricanes and Typhoons.
He also wrote under the nom de plume Bruce Carter.
Among the 90 books he wrote were:
- Into a Strange Lost World (1952), aka The Perilous Descent into a Strange Lost World
- The Kidnapping of Kensington (1958), aka The Children Who Stayed Behind
- Captain Bligh and Mr. Christian (1972)
- The Deadly Freeze (1976)
- Buzzbugs (1977)
- Angels One Five (1979), aka Wings Against the Sky
- The Fight of the Few (1980), aka The Raging Sky
- The Fight to the Finish (1981), aka Wings of Victory
- Nightworld (1987)
Bibliography as Richard HoughEdit
- The Fight of the Few , 1979, Cassell ltd, Great Britain
- One Boy's War, Pen and Sword, 2008, ISBN 978-1-84415-690-0
- The Fleet that had to Die
- Admirals in Collision
- Dreadnought: a History of the Modern Battleship
- First Sea Lord: a life of Admiral Lord Fisher
- The Hunting of Force Z
- The Blind Horn's Hate
- Captain Bligh & Mr. Christian
- Louis and Victoria: the First Mountbattens
- Mountbatten: Hero of our Time
- The Pursuit of Admiral von Spee
- The Ace of Clubs: a History of the Garrick
- The Battle of Britain: the Jubilee History (with co-author Denis Richards)
- Winston & Clementine: the Triumphs & Tragedies of the Churchills
- Bless our Ship: Mountbatten and the Kelly
- Other Days Around Me (Autobiography)
- The Great Admirals, William Morrow and Company, New York, 1977 ISBN 0-688-03183-8
- Edward and Alexandra: Their Private and Public Lives, London 1992, Hodder & Stoddart, ISBN 0-340-55825-3.
- The Potemkin Mutiny
- Captain James Cook: A Biography, Hodder & Stoughton, London, 1994 ISBN 0-340-82556-1
- The Great War at Sea, Oxford University Press, Oxford - New York, 1983 ISBN 0-19-215871-6
- Buller's Guns
- Buller's Dreadnought
- Buller's Victory
Bibliography as Bruce CarterEdit
- "Richard Hough". Internet Movie Database. Amazon.com. Retrieved 27 October 2009.
- Leasor, James (18 October 1999). "Richard Hough". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 19 May 2017.
- "Obituaries: Charlotte Hough: children's book illustrator". The Times. 7 January 2009. Retrieved 8 July 2017. (subscription required)
- Hough, Richard (1992). Other Days Around Me. London: Hodder and Stoughton. ISBN 0-340-55221-2.