Richard C. Baldwin
Richard C. Baldwin
|Associate Justice of the|
Oregon Supreme Court
January 2013 – March 2017
|Preceded by||Robert D. Durham|
|Succeeded by||Meagan Flynn|
Richard Clinton Baldwin
March 24, 1947
San Jose, California
|Alma mater||San Jose State University|
Lewis & Clark Law School
Baldwin was born in San Jose, California. He completed a Bachelor of Arts degree at San Jose State College in 1970 and a Juris Doctor at Lewis & Clark Law School in 1975. Baldwin clerked for Robert Foley of the Oregon Court of Appeals in 1975-1976.
Baldwin worked as a staff attorney for Oregon Legal Aid in Multnomah County in 1976 to 1980, and was in private practice in 1981-1991. He returned to Multnomah County Legal Aid as Litigation Director from 1991 to 1995. Baldwin was Executive Director of the Oregon Law Center, a non-profit organization, in 1996-2000, before being appointed as a state judge.
Baldwin served as an Oregon Circuit Courts Judge in Multnomah County, Oregon from 2001 to 2012. He was appointed by the Governor of Oregon, John Kitzhaber, in 2001, and was re-elected in 2002 and 2008. As a state judge, he helped create the Multnomah County Mental Health Court and the Oregon Coalition Against Domestic Violence.
Baldwin was elected to the Oregon Supreme Court in November 2012, defeating Nena Cook, to replace retiring justice Robert D. Durham. Baldwin retired from the court in March 2017, and was replaced by justice Meagan Flynn, who was appointed by Governor Kate Brown.
- Oregon Supreme Court race: Campaign heats up between Judge Richard Baldwin and attorney Nena Cook | OregonLive.com
- Choice For Judge Made Difficult By What Candidates Can't Say » News » OPB
- Judge of the Supreme Court - Position 3 - The Oregonian Voter Guide
- Supreme Home - The Honorable Richard C. Baldwin
- http://records.sos.state.or.us/ORSOSWebdrawer/RecordView/6873720 May 15, 2012 Voters' Pamphlet, page 30
- Richard Baldwin - Multnomah Bar Association
- Why I'm supporting Judge Baldwin for Supreme Court - BlueOregon
- Baldwin edges out Cook in race for Oregon Supreme Court seat | OregonLive.com
Robert D. Durham
| Associate Justice of the Oregon Supreme Court