Ricardo Pinto (baseball)
Ricardo Antonio Pinto Valera (born January 20, 1994) is a Venezuelan professional baseball pitcher for the San Francisco Giants of Major League Baseball (MLB). He previously played in MLB for the Philadelphia Phillies and Tampa Bay Rays.
|San Francisco Giants|
|Born: January 20, 1994|
Guacara, Carabobo, Venezuela
|May 31, 2017, for the Philadelphia Phillies|
|MLB statistics |
(through August 31, 2019)
|Earned run average||8.71|
Pinto signed with the Philadelphia Phillies as an international free agent in December 2011. He made his professional debut with the Venezuelan Summer League Phillies in 2012 and also played with them in 2013. In 2014, he played for the Williamsport Crosscutters. Pinto spent 2015 with the Lakewood BlueClaws and Clearwater Threshers. He won the Paul Owens Award as the Phillies Minor League Pitcher of the Year after going 15–4 with a 2.97 earned run average (ERA) and 105 strikeouts. The Phillies added him to their 40-man roster after the 2016 season.
Pinto started the 2017 season with the Lehigh Valley IronPigs, and was called up to Phillies on May 31, making his MLB debut the same day. In his debut against the Miami Marlins, Pinto pitched two innings in relief, allowing four runs on six hits along with three walks and a home run, and struck out two. On March 25, 2018, the Phillies designated Pinto for assignment.
Chicago White SoxEdit
On March 28, 2018, Pinto was traded to the Chicago White Sox in exchange for international signing bonus pool money. He was designated for assignment on May 28, 2018. He cleared waivers and was outrighted to the Class AAA Charlotte Knights. Pinto elected free agency on November 2, 2018.
Tampa Bay RaysEdit
On January 28, 2019, Pinto signed a minor league deal with the Tampa Bay Rays. On August 30, the Rays selected Pinto's contract.
San Francisco GiantsEdit
- "Carlos Tocci, Ricardo Pinto promoted to Clearwater among bevy of BlueClaws moves". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- "Please wait while you are redirected". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- Gross, Stephen. "Andrew Knapp, Ricardo Pinto two of Phillies' brightest minor league stars". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- "Phillies call up prospect Ricardo Pinto". Major League Baseball. Retrieved May 31, 2017.
- Byrne, Connor (March 25, 2018). "Phillies Designate Ricardo Pinto". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved March 25, 2018.
- Todd, Jeff (March 28, 2018). "White Sox Acquire Ricardo Pinto". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved March 28, 2018.
- Eddy, Matt (November 6, 2018). "Minor League Free Agents 2018". Baseball America. Retrieved November 8, 2018.
- Kerry Crowley (September 6, 2019). "Giants announce another reliever is out for the season, team claims pitcher from Rays". The Mercury News. Retrieved September 9, 2019.