Rianne Monique Letschert (born 13 September 1976) is a Dutch law scholar. Since September 2016 she has been rector of Maastricht University. Previously Letschert was professor of victimology and international law at Tilburg University between March 2011 and September 2016.
Letschert was born in Doetinchem on 13 September 1976. She moved at an early age to Stiphout in the municipality of Helmond. In Helmond she attended high school. Letschert studied law at Tilburg University, the University of Amsterdam and the University of Montpellier. She obtained her PhD at Tilburg University with a thesis titled The impact of minority rights mechanisms (2005), dealing with competing international organisations making policy on national minorities.
In March 2011 Letschert was appointed as professor to the new chair of victimology and international law at Tilburg University. Several years later Letschert contemplated leaving academics, however. In May 2015 she was awarded an 800,000 Euro grant by the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research and decided to continue. Her current research focuses on the impact of international tribunals on societies and individuals that have been confronted with human rights violations and international crimes. Apart from her position as professor she serves as director of the International Victimology Institute Tilburg (INTERVICT). Letschert was to become dean of the Law faculty of Tilburg University when she was appointed as rector of Maastricht University per 1 September 2016.
Letschert joined the De Jonge Akademie (Young Academy) of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2012. In April 2015 she became chairperson. Due to her appointment as rector magnificus of Maastricht University she was succeeded as chairperson by Rens Vliegenthart in June 2016. Letschert was a Schermer Fellow at the Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study in the period between February and June 2016.
- Ellen de Bruin (22 April 2016). "Rianne Letschert (39) rector van Universiteit Maastricht". NRC. Retrieved 22 April 2016.
- "Prof. dr. Rianne Letschert Rector Magnificus Maastricht University". Maastricht University. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- Joke Knoop. ""Hoe hoger je komt, hoe minder tegenspraak"" (PDF). De Jonge Akademie. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- "Rianne Letschert". De Jonge Akademie. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- Niek Willems (2 June 2015). "Rianne Letschert: werkte in een bouwmarkt, maar was allesbehalve handig" (in Dutch). Universonline. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- "Rianne Letschert uit Helmond voorzitter Jonge Akademie" (in Dutch). Eindhovens Dagblad. 26 March 2015. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- "Rianne Letschert benoemd tot hoogleraar Victimologie en internationaal recht" (in Dutch). Tilburg University. 21 March 2011. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- Ellen de Bruin (9 January 2016). "'Zonder beurs was ik gestopt met de wetenschap'" (in Dutch). NRC Handelsblad. Retrieved 6 March 2016. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Vidi Awards 2014". Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research. 4 June 2015. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- "Mensen om in de gaten te houden" (in Dutch). Financieel Dagblad. 12 December 2015. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- "Staff & Research Fellows INTERVICT". Tilburg University. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- Jan Tromp (24 May 2016). "Goedlachse powervrouw als rector-magnificus van Universteit Maastricht". de Volkskrant. Retrieved 10 June 2016.
- "Ten new top researchers join The Young Academy". De Jonge Akademie. 20 November 2012. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- "Rens Vliegenthart nieuwe voorzitter De Jonge Akademie". Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. 3 June 2016. Retrieved 6 June 2016.
- "Letschert, Rianne". Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study. Retrieved 6 March 2016.