Revelation 18 is the eighteenth chapter of the Book of Revelation or the Apocalypse of John in the New Testament of the Christian Bible. The book is traditionally attributed to John the Apostle, but the precise identity of the author remains a point of academic debate. This chapter describes the fall of Babylon the Great.
Revelation 13:16-14:4 on Papyrus 47 from the third century.
|Book||Book of Revelation|
|Christian Bible part||New Testament|
|Order in the Christian part||27|
Some early manuscripts containing this chapter are:
- Codex Sinaiticus (330-360)
- Codex Alexandrinus (400-440)
- Codex Ephraemi Rescriptus (ca. 450; extant verses 3-24)
- After these things I saw another angel coming down from heaven, having great authority, and the earth was illuminated with his glory.
- And he cried mightily with a loud voice, saying, “Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and has become a dwelling place of demons, a prison for every foul spirit, and a cage for every unclean and hated bird!"
- Therefore her plagues will come in one day—death and mourning and famine. And she will be utterly burned with fire, for strong is the Lord God who judges her.
This "lament of the merchants"  would appear to be based on a lament for the merchants of Tyre in Ezekiel 27:1-36. English theologian Henry Alford notes that "Rome never has been, nor can be, a great commercial city" and that this description "would be better adapted to London than to Rome".
- Davids, Peter H (1982). I Howard Marshall and W Ward Gasque (ed.). New International Greek Testament Commentary: The Epistle of James (Repr. ed.). Grand Rapids, Mich.: Eerdmans. ISBN 0802823882.
- Evans, Craig A (2005). Craig A Evans (ed.). Bible Knowledge Background Commentary: John, Hebrews-Revelation. Colorado Springs, Colo.: Victor. ISBN 0781442281.
- F. L. Cross, The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church, (New York: Oxford University Press, 1997), 45
- Bauckham 2007, p. 1289.
- Claremont Coptic Encyclopaedia, Codex Vaticanus, accessed 29 September 2018
- Revelation 18:1 NKJV
- Revelation 18:2
- Revelation 18:8 NKJV
- Meyer, H., Meyer's NT Commentary on Revelation 18, accessed 7 December 2018
- Quoted in Meyer, H., Meyer's NT Commentary on Revelation 18, accessed 7 December 2018
- Revelation 18:19
- John Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible - Revelation 18:19
- Bauckham, Richard (2007). "81. Revelation". In Barton, John; Muddiman, John (eds.). The Oxford Bible Commentary (first (paperback) ed.). Oxford University Press. pp. 1287–1306. ISBN 978-0199277186. Retrieved February 6, 2019.
This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Gill, John. Exposition of the Entire Bible (1746-1763).