Revelation 17 is the seventeenth chapter of the Book of Revelation or the Apocalypse of John in the New Testament of the Christian Bible. The book is traditionally attributed to John the Apostle, but the precise identity of the author remains a point of academic debate. This chapter describes the judgment of the Whore of Babylon ("Babylon the Harlot").
Revelation 13:16-14:4 on Papyrus 47 from the third century.
|Book||Book of Revelation|
|Christian Bible part||New Testament|
|Order in the Christian part||27|
Some early manuscripts containing this chapter are:
- Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and talked with me, saying [to me], “Come, I will show you the judgment of the great harlot who sits on many waters,"
German theologian Johann Gottfried Eichhorn suggested that the first of the seven angels with the seven bowls is intended: Greek: εἱς is equivalent to Greek: πρῶτος. Heinrich Meyer disagrees: "It is in no way to be conjectured which of the vial-angels it was". The words "to me" do not appear in Codex Alexandrinus or in the Vulgate translation.
- And on her forehead a name was written:
- MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT,
- THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS
- AND OF THE ABOMINATIONS
- OF THE EARTH.
The King James Version, New King James Version, and Young's Literal Translation (1862) include the word 'mystery' (or 'secret' - YLT) within her title, but in many other English translations the word is descriptive of the name: "a name that has a secret meaning" (Good News Bible).
- And the ten horns which you saw on the beast, these will hate the harlot, make her desolate and naked, eat her flesh and burn her with fire.
- Davids, Peter H (1982). I Howard Marshall and W Ward Gasque (ed.). New International Greek Testament Commentary: The Epistle of James (Repr. ed.). Grand Rapids, Mich.: Eerdmans. ISBN 0802823882.
- Evans, Craig A (2005). Craig A Evans (ed.). Bible Knowledge Background Commentary: John, Hebrews-Revelation. Colorado Springs, Colo.: Victor. ISBN 0781442281.
- F. L. Cross, The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church, (New York: Oxford University Press, 1997), 45
- Bauckham 2007, p. 1289.
- Claremont Coptic Encyclopaedia, Codex Vaticanus, accessed 29 September 2018
- Revelation 17:1 NKJV
- Meyer, H., Meyer's NT Commentary on Revelation 17, accessed 3 December 2018
- Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary on Revelation 17, accessed 3 December 2018
- Revelation 17:5 NKJV
- Revelation 17:5: Good News Translation
- Revelation 17:16 NKJV
- Bauckham, Richard (2007). "81. Revelation". In Barton, John; Muddiman, John (eds.). The Oxford Bible Commentary (first (paperback) ed.). Oxford University Press. pp. 1287–1306. ISBN 978-0199277186. Retrieved February 6, 2019.
This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Gill, John. Exposition of the Entire Bible (1746-1763).