Revelation 13 is the thirteenth chapter of the Book of Revelation or the Apocalypse of John in the New Testament of the Christian Bible. The book is traditionally attributed to John the Apostle, but the precise identity of the author remains a point of academic debate. The author records visions of two beasts or monsters which he saw while "standing on the seashore", the monster from the sea and the monster from the land.
Revelation 1:13-2:1 on the verso side of Papyrus 98 from the second century.
|Book||Book of Revelation|
|Christian Bible part||New Testament|
|Order in the Christian part||27|
Some early manuscripts containing this chapter are:
- Papyrus 115 (ca. 275; extant verses 1-3, 6-16, 18)
- Papyrus 47 (3rd century)
- Codex Sinaiticus (330-360)
- Codex Alexandrinus (400-440)
- Codex Ephraemi Rescriptus (ca. 450; complete)
- Then I stood on the sand of the sea. And I saw a beast rising up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and on his horns ten crowns, and on his heads a blasphemous name.
Some manuscript texts read ἐστάθην, estathēn, I stood, while others read ἐστάθη, estathē, he stood, referring to the dragon of Revelation 12:17.
- Now the beast which I saw was like a leopard, his feet were like the feet of a bear, and his mouth like the mouth of a lion. The dragon gave him his power, his throne, and great authority.
- And he was given a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies, and he was given authority to continue for forty-two months.
- Davids, Peter H (1982). I Howard Marshall and W Ward Gasque (ed.). New International Greek Testament Commentary: The Epistle of James (Repr. ed.). Grand Rapids, Mich.: Eerdmans. ISBN 0802823882.
- Evans, Craig A (2005). Craig A Evans (ed.). Bible Knowledge Background Commentary: John, Hebrews-Revelation. Colorado Springs, Colo.: Victor. ISBN 0781442281.
- F. L. Cross, The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church, (New York: Oxford University Press, 1997), 45
- Revelation 13:1: NKJV
- Bauckham 2007, p. 1289.
- Claremont Coptic Encyclopaedia, Codex Vaticanus, accessed 29 September 2018
- Revelation 13:1
- Revelation 13:2
- Revelation 13:5
- Revelation 13:11
- John Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible - Revelation 13:11
- Revelation 13:16
- Revelation 13:18
- Bauckham, Richard (2007). "81. Revelation". In Barton, John; Muddiman, John (eds.). The Oxford Bible Commentary (first (paperback) ed.). Oxford University Press. pp. 1287–1306. ISBN 978-0199277186. Retrieved February 6, 2019.
This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Gill, John. Exposition of the Entire Bible (1746-1763).