Ressha Sentai ToQger
Ressha Sentai ToQger (烈車戦隊トッキュウジャー, Ressha Sentai Tokkyūjā)[a] is a Japanese television series, the 38th installment in Toei Company's Super Sentai metaseries, following Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger. It premiered on TV Asahi affiliates on February 16, 2014, joining Kamen Rider Gaim and later, Kamen Rider Drive in the Super Hero Time programming block, and it ended on February 15, 2015. The series has a train motif, and unlike previous series where the heroes are named after colors, the heroes in ToQger are numbered and regularly swap colors during battle.
|Ressha Sentai ToQger|
|Developed by||Yasuko Kobayashi|
|Directed by||Shōjirō Nakazawa|
|Narrated by||Kappei Yamaguchi|
|Opening theme||"Ressha Sentai ToQger" by Daiki Ise|
|Ending theme||"Byun Byun! ToQger" by Project.R (YOFFY, Takayoshi Tanimoto, Showgo Kamada)|
|Country of origin||Japan|
|No. of episodes||47 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||24–25 minutes|
|Original network||TV Asahi|
|Original release||February 16, 2014 –|
February 15, 2015
|Preceded by||Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger|
|Followed by||Shuriken Sentai Ninninger|
One of the series' props, a costume used for the role of one of the villains, was used for the 24th and 25th seasons of the American Power Rangers series (Power Rangers Ninja Steel and Power Rangers Super Ninja Steel, both adapting the 2015 Sentai installment, Shuriken Sentai Ninninger). Otherwise, ToQger was the second Sentai series since Chōjin Sentai Jetman to be skipped over for adaptation into a season of Power Rangers (2012's Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters, which was later adapted into Power Rangers Beast Morphers in 2019, being the first).
The series' main characters made a cameo appearance in the film Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger vs. Go-Busters: The Great Dinosaur Battle! Farewell Our Eternal Friends, and appeared in a special meet-and-greet and press conference at Tokyo Dome City in late January 2014. In October 2014, the series was given the Japan Railway Award's Special award by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism in its annual "Train Day" observance, recognizing its effect on making children enjoy trains.
Only those with a great Imagination (イマジネーション, Imajinēshon) can see the mystical railway known as the Rainbow Line (レインボーライン, Reinbō Rain), on which run massive trains known as Ressha (烈車)[b] These Ressha are driven by five warriors known as the ToQgers (トッキュウジャー, Tokkyūjā),[c] It is their mission to save towns from the evil forces of the Shadow Line (シャドーライン, Shadō Rain) who are using the residents' fear and sadness to establish their own railway to enable the coming of their leader Emperor Z, whose intention is consume light to plunge the world into darkness. The five ToQgers are also childhood friends who are fighting to recover the memories of their hometown after it was consumed by the Shadow Line's evil. Later joined by Akira Nijino, a former Shadow Creep who reformed, the ToQgers begin a campaign to free these "Shadow Towns" from their Shadow Creep Keepers in an attempt to recover their memories while the Shadow Line itself must deal with some opposition among their own subjects.
As the motif for ToQger is trains, the episodes are called "stations" (駅, eki).
|1||"Let's Go on the Express Ressha"|
Transcription: "Tokkyū Ressha de Ikō" (Japanese: 特急烈車で行こう)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||February 16, 2014|
|2||"We Are Here"|
Transcription: "Oretachi wa Koko ni Iru" (Japanese: 俺たちはここにいる)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||February 23, 2014|
|3||"Risking Everything After Reaching the Wrong Conclusion"|
Transcription: "Omoikondara Inochigake" (Japanese: 思いこんだら命がけ)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||March 2, 2014|
|4||"Be Careful Not to Lose Anything"|
Transcription: "Wasuremono ni Gochūi o" (Japanese: 忘れ物にご注意を)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||March 9, 2014|
|5||"The Missing Other Side of the Tracks"|
Transcription: "Kieta Senro no Mukōgawa" (Japanese: 消えた線路の向こうがわ)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||March 16, 2014|
|6||"What Are We Looking For?"|
Transcription: "Sagashimono wa Nan Desu ka" (Japanese: 探し物はなんですか)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||March 23, 2014|
|SP||"Ressha Sentai ToQger vs. Kamen Rider Gaim: Spring Break Combined Special"|
Transcription: "Ressha Sentai Tokkyūjā Tai Kamen Raidā Gaimu Haruyasumi Gattai Supesharu" (Japanese: 烈車戦隊トッキュウジャーＶＳ仮面ライダー鎧武 春休み合体スペシャル)
|Nobuhiro Mouri||March 30, 2014|
Transcription: "Yarusenaku, Yarukinaku" (Japanese: やるせなく、やる気なく)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||April 6, 2014|
|8||"Big Explosion on the Rainbow Line"|
Transcription: "Reinbō Rain Daibakuha" (Japanese: レインボーライン大爆破)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||April 13, 2014|
|9||"Memory Is a One-Way Ticket"|
Transcription: "Omoi wa Katamichi Kippu" (Japanese: 思いは片道切符)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||April 20, 2014|
|10||"Tokatti Dies at Sunset"|
Transcription: "Tokatchi, Yūyake ni Shisu" (Japanese: トカッチ、夕焼けに死す)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||April 27, 2014|
|11||"The Emperor of Darkness"|
Transcription: "Yami no Kōtei" (Japanese: 闇の皇帝)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||May 4, 2014|
|12||"The Rainbow Commuter Pass"|
Transcription: "Niji no Teikiken" (Japanese: 虹の定期券)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||May 11, 2014|
|13||"Run Fire Extinguisher"|
Transcription: "Hashire Shōkaki" (Japanese: 走れ消火器)
|Akatsuki Yamatoya||May 18, 2014|
|14||"Lost Cop, Great Detective"|
Transcription: "Meikeiji, Meitantei" (Japanese: 迷刑事、名探偵)
|Akatsuki Yamatoya||May 25, 2014|
|15||"The Thing In Your Heart"|
Transcription: "Kokoro no Naka ni Aru Mono" (Japanese: 心の中にあるもの)
|Shō Aikawa||June 1, 2014|
|16||"The Dangerous Extraordinary Ressha"|
Transcription: "Kiken na Rinji Ressha" (Japanese: 危険な臨時烈車)
|Shō Aikawa||June 8, 2014|
|17||"The Sky After the Rain"|
Transcription: "Ameagari no Sora ni" (Japanese: 雨上がりの空に)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||June 22, 2014|
|18||"And What Do We Call You?"|
Transcription: "Kimi no Na o Yobeba" (Japanese: 君の名を呼べば)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||June 29, 2014|
|19||"Now Departing! Build-Dai-Oh"|
Transcription: "Shuppatsu! Birudodaiō" (Japanese: 出発！ビルドダイオー)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||July 6, 2014|
|20||"Smiling Is Dangerous"|
Transcription: "Egao wa Kiken" (Japanese: 笑顔は危険)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||July 13, 2014|
|21||"The Runaway Bride"|
Transcription: "Hanayome wa Tōsōchū" (Japanese: 花嫁は逃走中)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||July 20, 2014|
|22||"Birth of the Empress"|
Transcription: "Jotei no Tanjō" (Japanese: 女帝の誕生)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||July 27, 2014|
|23||"United Hand in Hand"|
Transcription: "Te to Te o Tsunai de" (Japanese: 手と手をつないで)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||August 10, 2014|
|24||"Pass the Junction"|
Transcription: "Bunkiten o Koete" (Japanese: 分岐点を越えて)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||August 17, 2014|
|25||"Right Out of a Fairy Tale"|
Transcription: "Otogibanashi ga Tobidashite" (Japanese: おとぎ話が飛び出して)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||August 24, 2014|
|26||"The Fight that Started in a Bathhouse"|
Transcription: "Sentō de Sentō Kaishi" (Japanese: 銭湯で戦闘開始)
|Akatsuki Yamatoya||August 31, 2014|
|27||"A New Power"|
Transcription: "Arata na Chikara o" (Japanese: 新たな力を)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||September 7, 2014|
|28||"Uncool but Cool"|
Transcription: "Kakko Warui ga Kakko Ii" (Japanese: カッコ悪いがカッコ良い)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||September 14, 2014|
|29||"The Meeting with the Oncoming Train"|
Transcription: "Taikōsha to no Gōryūten" (Japanese: 対向車との合流点)
|Akatsuki Yamatoya||September 21, 2014|
|30||"The Birthday Celebration"|
Transcription: "Tanjōbi no Oiwai wa" (Japanese: 誕生日のお祝いは)
|Akatsuki Yamatoya||September 28, 2014|
|31||"The Hyper Ressha Terminal"|
Transcription: "Haipā Ressha Tāminaru" (Japanese: ハイパーレッシャターミナル)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||October 5, 2014|
Transcription: "Ketsui" (Japanese: 決意)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||October 12, 2014|
|33||"Karate Hot Match"|
Transcription: "Karate Ōichiban" (Japanese: カラテ大一番)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||October 19, 2014|
Transcription: "Koi wa Ōsawagi" (Japanese: 恋は大騒ぎ)
|Akatsuki Yamatoya||October 26, 2014|
|35||"The Stolen Terminal"|
Transcription: "Ubawareta Tāminaru" (Japanese: 奪われたターミナル)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||November 9, 2014|
Transcription: "Yume wa Hyakuten" (Japanese: 夢は100点)
|Shō Aikawa||November 16, 2014|
Transcription: "Rifujin Kuizu" (Japanese: 理不尽クイズ)
|Akatsuki Yamatoya||November 23, 2014|
|38||"Let's Make a Movie"|
Transcription: "Eiga Tsukurō" (Japanese: 映画つくろう)
|Akatsuki Yamatoya||November 30, 2014|
|39||"The Beginning of the End"|
Transcription: "Owari no Hajimari" (Japanese: 終わりの始まり)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||December 7, 2014|
|40||"Who Is He? He Is Whom?"|
Transcription: "Dare ga Aitsu de, Aitsu ga Dare de" (Japanese: 誰があいつで あいつが誰で)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||December 14, 2014|
|41||"The Christmas Battle"|
Transcription: "Kurisumasu Daikessen" (Japanese: クリスマス大決戦)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||December 21, 2014|
|42||"Words to Reach You"|
Transcription: "Kimi ni Todoku Kotoba" (Japanese: 君に届く言葉)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||December 28, 2014|
|43||"The Locked Door"|
Transcription: "Akanai Tobira" (Japanese: 開かない扉)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||January 11, 2015|
Transcription: "Subarugahama e" (Japanese: 昴ヶ浜へ)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||January 18, 2015|
|45||"The Home We Left Behind"|
Transcription: "Kimi ga Satta Hōmu" (Japanese: 君が去ったホーム)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||January 25, 2015|
|46||"The Last Stop"|
Transcription: "Saigo no Ikisaki" (Japanese: 最後の行き先)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||February 8, 2015[d]|
|Final||"A Shining Thing"|
Transcription: "Kagayaiteiru Mono" (Japanese: 輝いているもの)
|Yasuko Kobayashi||February 15, 2015|
The ToQgers made their debut appearance in the post-credits scene of Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger vs. Go-Busters: The Great Dinosaur Battle! Farewell Our Eternal Friends.
Kamen Rider TaisenEdit
The main casts from Ressha Sentai ToQger and Kamen Rider Gaim, along with Ryo Ryusei who returns as Daigo Kiryu from Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger participate in Heisei Rider vs. Shōwa Rider: Kamen Rider Taisen feat. Super Sentai (平成ライダー対昭和ライダー 仮面ライダー大戦 feat.スーパー戦隊, Heisei Raidā Tai Shōwa Raidā Kamen Raidā Taisen feat. Sūpā Sentai) which debuted in theaters on March 29, 2014. It also features the return of characters from previous Kamen Rider Series, most notably Hiroshi Fujioka of the original Kamen Rider. The event of the movie takes place between Station 6 and 7.
Galaxy Line S.O.S.Edit
Ressha Sentai ToQger the Movie: Galaxy Line S.O.S. (烈車戦隊トッキュウジャー THE MOVIE ギャラクシーラインSOS, Ressha Sentai Tokkyūjā THE MOVIE Gyarakushī Rain SOS) was released in Japanese theaters on July 19, 2014, double-billed with the film for Kamen Rider Gaim. It features the introduction of the Safari Ressha (サファリ烈車). The event of the movie takes place between Station 20 and 21.
ToQger vs. KyoryugerEdit
Ressha Sentai ToQger vs. Kyoryuger: The Movie (烈車戦隊トッキュウジャーVSキョウリュウジャーTHE MOVIE, Ressha Sentai Tokkyūjā Tai Kyōryūjā Za Mūbī) is the VS team-up movie between Ressha Sentai ToQger and Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger. The film premiered in Japanese theaters on January 17, 2015. The event of the movie takes place between Station 35 and 36.
Ninninger vs. ToQgerEdit
Shuriken Sentai Ninninger vs. ToQger the Movie: Ninja in Wonderland (手裏剣戦隊ニンニンジャーVSトッキュウジャー THE MOVIE 忍者・イン・ワンダーランド, Shuriken Sentai Ninninjā Tai Tokkyūjā Za Mūbī Ninja In Wandārando) was released in Japanese theaters on January 23, 2016, featuring the casts of both Shuriken Sentai Ninninger and ToQger.
Ressha Sentai ToQger DVD Special: Farewell, Ticket! The Wasteland Super ToQ Battle!! (烈車戦隊トッキュウジャー さらばチケットくん 荒野の超トッキュウバトル!!, Ressha Sentai Tokkyūjā DVD Supesharu: Saraba, Chiketto! Arechi Sūpā Tokkyū Batoru!!) is a special DVD by Kodansha that details Ticket ending up on Akira's hand. After attempts to get him off, Akira and Light are forced to help Ticket in settling things with his nemesis Kaniros, who also enlisted General Schwarz's assistance. The event of the specials takes place between Station 26 and 27.
They Went and Came Back Again Ressha Sentai ToQGer: Super ToQ 7gou of Dreams (行って帰ってきた烈車戦隊トッキュウジャー 夢の超トッキュウ7号, Itte Kaettekita Ressha Sentai Tokkyūjā Yume no Chō Tokkyū Nana-gō) is a direct-to-video film to be released on June 24, 2015. Ten years after the events of the series, the fully grown up ToQgers find themselves being attacked by the Shadow Line before ending up sent back through time to the year 2017 on the day before their graduation when their childhood selves set out to find Akira. But the childhood ToQgers find themselves meeting the mysterious ToQ 7gou (トッキュウ7号, Tokkyū Nana-gō) while facing the Shadow Line's new leader Archduke Hei, who attempts to turn Akira back to Zalam with help from the 6th ToQger's silent partner Tanktop Shadow. But the ToQgers, regaining their lost Imagination in the process, help their childhood selves save Akira and redeem Tanktop Shadow with Hei going into hiding to have his revenge on the powerless ToQgers in eight years' time. Luckily, the time paradox caused by Glitta allowed the ToQgers to retain their regained Imagination while they are joined by Akira, the childhood ToQgers and Conductor as ToQ 7gou in finishing Hei for good. The event of the movie takes place after the final episode of the series.
- Light (ライト, Raito): Jun Shison (志尊 淳, Shison Jun), Homare Mabuchi (馬渕 誉, Mabuchi Homare, Child)
- Tokacci (トカッチ, Tokatchi): Jin Hiramaki (平牧 仁, Hiramaki Jin), Keishiro Nagase (永瀬 圭志朗, Nagase Keishirō, Child)
- Mio (ミオ): Riria Kojima (小島梨里杏), Kaoruko Ishii (石井 薫子, Ishii Kaoruko, Child)
- Hikari (ヒカリ): Ryusei Yokohama (横浜 流星, Yokohama Ryūsei), Hikaru Yamazaki (山﨑 光, Yamazaki Hikaru, Child)
- Kagura (カグラ): Ai Moritaka (森高 愛, Moritaka Ai), Rara Shimizu (清水 らら, Shimizu Rara, Child)
- Akira Nijino (虹野 明, Nijino Akira): Shin Nagahama (長濱 慎, Nagahama Shin)
- Conductor (車掌, Shashō): Tsutomu Sekine (関根 勤, Sekine Tsutomu)
- Emperor of Darkness Z (闇の皇帝ゼット, Yami no Kōtei Zetto): Kengo Ohkuchi (大口 兼悟, Ōkuchi Kengo)
- Ticket (チケット, Chiketto, Voice), ToQger Equipment Voice, Narration: Kappei Yamaguchi (山口 勝平, Yamaguchi Kappei)
- Wagon (ワゴン, Voice): Yui Horie (堀江 由衣, Horie Yui)
- Rainbow Line President (レインボーライン総裁, Reinbō Rain Sōsai, Voice): Kōsuke Toriumi (鳥海 浩輔, Toriumi Kōsuke)
- Barone Nero (ネロ男爵, Nero-danshaku, Voice): Jun Fukuyama (福山 潤, Fukuyama Jun)
- Madame Noir (ノア夫人, Noa-fujin, Voice): Aya Hisakawa (久川 綾, Hisakawa Aya)
- General Schwarz (シュバルツ将軍, Shubarutsu-shōgun, Voice): Haruhiko Jō (壤 晴彦, Jō Haruhiko)
- Miss Glitta (グリッタ嬢, Guritta-jō, Voice): Noriko Hidaka (日高 のり子, Hidaka Noriko)
- Marchioness Mork (モルク侯爵, Moruku-kōshaku, Voice)/Cryner and Castle Terminal Announcements (クライナー・キャッスルターミナルのアナウンス, Kurainā to Kyassuru Tāminaru no Anaunsu, Voice): Reiko Suzuki (鈴木 れい子, Suzuki Reiko).
- Tooru Chiba (千葉 徹, Chiba Tōru, 9): Sotaro (聡太郎, Sōtarō)
- Gonzaemon Toride (取手 権左衛門, Toride Gonzaemon, 14): Hiroyuki Konishi (小西 博之, Konishi Hiroyuki)
- Sumo Wrestler (相撲取り, Sumōtori, 20): Akatsu (あかつ)
- Comedian (芸人, Geinin, 20): Gorgeous (ゴー☆ジャス, Gōjasu)
- Ryo Tokashiki (渡嘉敷 涼, Tokashiki Ryō, 23, 25, 45, 47): Mizuki Ohno (大野 瑞生, Ōno Mizuki)
- Naked Emperor (はだかの王様, Hadaka no Ōsama, 25): John Kaminari (ジョン・カミナリ, Jon Kaminari)
- Owner of Sentō (銭湯の店主, Sentō no Tenshu, 26): Ken Nishida (西田 健, Nishida Ken)
- Teruo Inzai (印西 輝男, Inzai Teruo, 26): Masahiro Kuranuki (倉貫 匡弘, Kuranuki Masahiro)
- Taihei Kasuga (春日 太平, Kasuga Taihei, 33): Ryo Kinomoto (木之元 亮, Kinomoto Ryō)
- Tsuyoshi Suzuki (鈴樹 剛史, Suzuki Tsuyoshi, 33, 45-47): Takashi Inoue (井上 高志, Inoue Takashi)
- Yoshio Omotesando (表参道 義雄, Yoshio Omotesandō, 34): Makoto Sakamoto (坂本 真, Sakamoto Makoto)
- Sakura Igawa (井川 さくら, Igawa Sakura, 36): Erica Tonooka (外岡 えりか, Tonooka Erika)
- Railway Maintenance Crew Band (保線員バンド, Hosenin Bando, 42)
- Ayaka Nonomura (野々村 彩香, Nonomura Ayaka, 43, 45, 47): Hitomi Hasebe (長谷部 瞳, Hasebe Hitomi)
- Opening theme
- "Ressha Sentai ToQger" (烈車戦隊トッキュウジャー, Ressha Sentai Tokkyūjā)
- Ending theme
- Literally translated as Railway Squad ToQger.
- "Ressha" (烈車) is a Japanese play on words, replacing the first kanji in the word for "train" (列車, ressha) with the identically pronounced kanji "烈", which means "extreme" or "fierce" and is found in a word that can be translated as "hero" (烈士, resshi).
- "ToQger" (トッキュウジャー, Tokkyūjā) a portmanteau of the Japanese words for "express train" (特急, tokkyū) and "Ranger" (レンジャー, Renjā).
- Episode 46 was originally scheduled to air on February 1, 2015. However, TV Asahi postponed the airing due to the media coverage of the death of Japanese journalist Kenji Goto by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
- "梨里杏 二十歳は烈車戦隊トッキュウジャーに捧げたい！現場で志尊淳に困ってる！？ - 芸能ニュースラウンジ". Newslounge.net. 2014-01-26. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- モチーフは電車 戦隊モノ新作は「烈車戦隊トッキュウジャー」 (in Japanese). Tokyo Sports. 2013-12-02. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "「烈車戦隊トッキュウジャー」が第13回 日本鉄道賞 特別賞を受賞！". 東映オフィシャルサイト. 2014-10-15. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- "「烈車戦隊トッキュウジャー」が第13回「日本鉄道賞」特別賞を受賞｜鉄道ニュース｜鉄道ファン・railf.jp". 2014-10-16. Retrieved 2014-10-27.
- "平成ライダー対昭和ライダー 仮面ライダー大戦 feat.スーパー戦隊（仮）". Superhero-movie.com. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- "藤岡弘、38年ぶりに仮面ライダー1号に変身！ - シネマトゥデイ". Cinematoday.jp. 2014-01-17. Retrieved 2014-01-17.
- "片岡愛之助、オネエから一転「仮面ライダー」役！変身ポーズは歌舞伎風！ - シネマトゥデイ". Cinematoday.jp. 2014-05-24. Retrieved 2014-05-25.
- "Ressha Sentai ToQger vs Kyoryuger The Movie Sentai Film's Trailer Streamed". Anime News Network. 2014-12-14. Retrieved 2014-12-15.
- "Shuriken Sentai Ninninger vs. Ressha Sentai ToQGer: The Movie Film Announced in Video". Anime News Network. 2015-11-09. Retrieved 2015-11-09.
- "D2＆テニミュ俳優・志尊淳 スーパー戦隊『烈車戦隊トッキュウジャー』1号出演発表 - 芸能ニュースラウンジ". Newslounge.net. 2013-10-17. Retrieved 2014-01-20.
- "重大発表｜SHISON JUN OFFICIAL BLOG Powered by Ameba". Ameblo.jp. Retrieved 2014-01-20.
- "平牧仁『トッキュウジャー。』｜be amie オスカープロモーション公式SNS・ブログ・オーディション＆スカウト". Beamie.jp. Retrieved 2014-01-20.
- "２０１４年 :: 梨里杏's STORY 梨里杏オフィシャルブログ". Yaplog.jp. Retrieved 2014-01-20.
- "1月1日｜横浜流星オフィシャルブログ「shooting star」Powered by Ameba". Ameblo.jp. 2014-01-01. Retrieved 2014-01-20.
- "森高愛". Tencarat.co.jp. 2013-11-29. Retrieved 2014-01-20.
- "ご報告｜長濱慎オフィシャルブログ「春夏秋冬」". 2014-06-01. Retrieved 2014-06-23.
- "Twitter - ENma_Dororon 変身ブレストッキュウチェンジャーの音声もやっとりまーふ☆ ..." 2014-01-26. Retrieved 2014-01-27.
- "日本コロムビア | 烈車戦隊トッキュウジャー 主題歌". Columbia.jp. Retrieved 2014-01-20.