The examples and perspective in this article may not represent a worldwide view of the subject. (March 2017)
A residence permit (less commonly residency permit) is a document or card required in some regions, allowing a foreign national to reside in a country for a fixed or indefinite length of time. These may be permits for temporary residency, or permanent residency. The exact rules vary between regions. In some cases (e.g. the UK) a temporary residence permit is required to extend a stay past some threshold, and can be an intermediate step to applying for permanent residency.
Residency status may be granted for a number of reasons and the criteria for acceptance as a resident may change over time. In New Zealand the current range of conditions include being a skilled migrant, a retired parent of a New Zealand National, an investor and a number of others. 
Biometric residence permitEdit
Georgia (country) offers several types of temporary residency permits, such as work residence permit, for those with a work contract or business in the country, short-term residence permit, based on property ownership, and residence permit for family reunification. There are also other types of residency permits, like, e.g., student residency permit.
In Italy the residence permit (permesso di soggiorno) is released by the state police (Polizia di Stato); it must be requested by the immigrant to be allowed to reside in the country for more than eight days, or more than ninety days if having a travel visa (visto d'ingresso) for tourism. It is not required for European Union citizens.
In Ukraine there are two types of residence permits: temporary residence permit and permanent residence permit. Temporary residence permit is issued, in general, for a period of 1 year provided that there is at least one of legal grounds for temporary stay in Ukraine. Permanent residence equals to immigration.
In the United StatesEdit
In Saudi ArabiaEdit
- "Applying for a UK Residence Permit".
- "All visa options for living permanently". New Zealand Government. 2017. Retrieved 5 March 2017.
- "Biometric Residence Permits in the UK" (PDF).
- "How To Get Georgian Residency (Legal Residence Permits) - ExpatHub.GE". 20 August 2020.
- Release of Archived 2009-10-30 at the Wayback Machine
- "Issuance of temporary residence permit".
- PRADO - Public Register of Authentic travel and identity Documents Online – contains information about and images of documents issued by countries in the European Union and Schengen Area.