Renkum (pronunciation (help·info)) is a municipality and a town in the eastern Netherlands. The municipality had a population of 31,406 in 2017 and has a land area of 46.01 km2 (17.76 sq mi). Renkum is situated along the river Rhine. The municipality Renkum is part of the Stadsregio (English: City region) Arnhem-Nijmegen.
Renkum town hall
Location in Gelderland
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Mrs. A.M.J. (Agnes) Schaap|
|• Total||47.23 km2 (18.24 sq mi)|
|• Land||46.01 km2 (17.76 sq mi)|
|• Water||1.22 km2 (0.47 sq mi)|
|Elevation||51 m (167 ft)|
|• Density||683/km2 (1,770/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Area code||026, 0317|
The surrounding of the municipality are mainly forest and river forelands. In the forest one can find tumulus of thousand years old. Findings from these tumulus can be seen in the Historic museum in Arnhem.
Renkum is more than a thousand years old. The thousand-year anniversary was celebrated in 1970. In the early days, the name was written as Redinchem. In the 19th century Renkum developed itself. There existed six paper mills, three water-cornmills and one water-oil mill. There were two factories, a treacle factory and a potato starch-flour factory. There was also a beer brewery and a tavern de Bok.
Nowadays there is still paper industry The company is Parenco B.V., acquired by H2 Equity Partners in 2012.
Dutch Topographic map of the municipality of Renkum, June 2015.
Notable people from RenkumEdit
- Stephan Brenninkmeijer (1964, born in Renkum), film director and editor
- Eric Corton (1969, born in Renkum), singer, actor, and presenter
- Esmée Denters (1988, grew up in Renkum), singer
- Albertino Essers (1969, born in Renkum), darts player
- Nol Hendriks (1937, born in Renkum), businessman and football executive
- Peter Hofstede (1967, born in Renkum), football striker
- Ronald Koeman (1963, lived in Renkum), ex-footballer and current coach of the Dutch national football team
- Constant Kusters (1970, born in Renkum), politician
- Bjorn Stenvers (1972, grew up in Renkum), international museum director
- Marianne Thieme (1972, grew up in Renkum), politician and vegetarian
- Frank Versteegh (1954, born in Renkum), film director and editor
- Xan de Waard (1995, born in Renkum), field hockey player
- Piet de Zwarte (1948, born in Renkum), water polo player
- Mayor Schaap
- "Burgemeester" [Mayor] (in Dutch). Gemeente Renkum. Archived from the original on 14 July 2014. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 6861GG". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 27 October 2017. Retrieved 27 October 2017.
- Historic museum Arnhem Archived 2009-08-30 at the Wayback Machine