Renegades (Rage Against the Machine album)
Renegades is the fourth studio album by American rock band Rage Against the Machine, released on December 5, 2000 by Epic Records, almost two months after their breakup. The album consists of covers of songs by artists such as Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Minor Threat, Eric B. & Rakim, EPMD, MC5, The Rolling Stones, Cypress Hill, and Devo.
|Studio album by|
|Released||December 5, 2000|
|Rage Against the Machine chronology|
|Singles from Renegades|
After the release of Renegades, the remaining three members of the band reformed with Chris Cornell on vocals as Audioslave. Rage did, however, release the live album Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium, consisting of their final two concerts before their initial break-up.
The album achieved platinum status a little over a month after its initial release.
The album's cover art is a parody of the pop art work LOVE by Robert Indiana, with the word "love" replaced with "rage". The album shipped with four different versions of the cover: either red lettering with black and either blue or green background, or with the red and black switched. The album's packaging also includes a poem by Josh Koppel. The artwork ends with a photograph of an American one dollar bill with the message "You are not a slave" written on the back.
|No.||Title||Writer(s)||Original artist (date)||Length|
|13.||"Kick Out the Jams" (Live)||Kramer, Smith, Tyner, Davis, Thompson||MC5 (1969)||4:31|
|14.||"How I Could Just Kill a Man" (Live, featuring B-Real and Sen Dog)||Freese, Reyes, Muggerud||Cypress Hill (1991)||4:30|
Best Buy limited edition Limited edition albums sold at Best Buy contained a bonus disc with live recordings of "People of the Sun" and "No Shelter". The songs were later released as part of Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium in 2003, as was track 13.
- Rage Against the Machine – co-producer, art direction
- Zack de la Rocha – vocals
- Tom Morello – guitar
- Tim Commerford – bass guitar/backing vocals
- Brad Wilk – drums
- Sen Dog – vocals on the live version of "How I Can Just Kill A Man"
- B-Real – vocals on the live version of "How I Can Just Kill A Man"
- Rick Rubin – producer
- Brendan O'Brien – producer of "The Ghost Of Tom Joad"
- Jim Scott – engineer
- David Schiffman – engineer
- Rich Costey – mixing
- D. Sardy – mixing of "The Ghost Of Tom Joad" and "Street Fighting Man"
- Katie Teasdale – assistant engineer
- Darren Mora – assistant engineer
- Matt Marin – assistant engineer
- Mike Scotella – assistant engineer
- Geoof Walcha – assistant engineer
- Rich Veltrop – assistant engineer
- Greg Fidelman – Digital Editing
- Mark Moreau – Digital Editing
- Aimee Macauley – art director
- Lindsay Chase – production coordination
- Jake Sexton – political coordinator
- Jake Koppell – inside Booklet
|Canadian Albums Chart||13|
|Polish Albums Chart||33|
|UK Albums Chart ||71|
|Top Internet Albums||14|
|2000||"Renegades of Funk"||Modern Rock Tracks||9|
|2000||"Renegades of Funk"||Mainstream Rock Tracks||19|
|2001||"How I Could Just Kill a Man"||Modern Rock Tracks||37|
|2001||"How I Could Just Kill a Man"||Mainstream Rock Tracks||39|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Gold||100,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Tom Moon (2000-11-21). "Renegades | Album Reviews". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- "Renegades Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More". Metacritic. 2000-12-05. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- Bush, John (2000-12-05). "Renegades – Rage Against the Machine : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- Rob Brunner (2000-12-11). "Renegades Review | Music Reviews and News". EW.com. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- "Rage Against The Machine – Renegades CD Album". Cduniverse.com. 2000-12-05. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- "NME Album Reviews – Renegades". Nme.Com. 2000-11-24. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- "Renegades – Rage Against the Machine". Billboard.com
- "OLiS: sales for the period 8 January 2001 – 14.01.2001". OLiS.
- "Rage Against the Machine". Official Charts. Retrieved 3 October 2018.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2000 Albums". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "British album certifications – Rage against the machine – Renegades". British Phonographic Industry. Select albums in the Format field. Select Gold in the Certification field. Type Renegades in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "American album certifications – Rage against the machine – Renegades". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH.