The Renault Centre (or the Renault Distribution Centre) is a high tech building in Swindon commissioned by the French car company Renault for their UK operations. Designed by the British architect Norman Foster of Foster Associates, it opened in 1982 and Renault moved out in 2001.
|Former names||Renault Distribution Centre|
|Alternative names||The Spectrum Building|
|Architectural style||Structural expressionism|
|Location||Rivermead Industrial Estate|
|Town or city||Swindon|
|Groundbreaking||27 July 1981|
|Cost||GB£8,266,400 (1983 price)|
|Size||288m x 96m|
|Floor area||58,500 m2|
|Design and construction|
|Architecture firm||Foster Associates|
|Structural engineer||Ove Arup & Partners|
|Quantity surveyor||Davis Belfield Everest|
|Main contractor||Bovis Construction|
|Designations||Grade II* listed|
The architecture expressed not only the corporate ownership with the yellow of Renault used on all the structural elements, but also promoted a modern statement on industrial relations by using the same roof over the warehouse and office elements, making no distinction between white- and blue-collar workers.
The structural engineer was Ove Arup & Partners. The cable stayed steel structural system provides a 24m column clear zone, with the columns of only 450mm diameter.
Renault commissioned the building in 1980 after outgrowing their premises in Reading. Planning permission was granted in June 1981, construction commenced July 1981 and practical completion was achieved in December 1982.
- Buchanan, Peter (July 1983). "High-Tech". Architectural Review. Retrieved 16 March 2015.
- "Spectrum building is awarded listed status". Swindon Advertiser. 21 September 2013. Retrieved 16 March 2015.
- "Swindon's 'View To A Kill' warehouse given listed status". BBC News. 10 September 2013. Retrieved 16 March 2015.
- Historic England. "The Spectrum Building, Swindon (1416061)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 13 April 2015.
- Abel, Chris (1991). Renault Centre : Swindon, 1982 : Architect, Norman Foster (1. publ. ed.). London: Architecture Design and Technology Press. ISBN 1854547763.
- "The Spectrum Building (formerly the Renault Distribution Centre)". Historic England. Retrieved 7 April 2016.
- Media related to The Spectrum Building at Wikimedia Commons
- "Projects - Renault Distribution Centre". Foster + Partners. Retrieved 13 April 2015.
- "Car seat supplier leases Spectrum". Swindon Advertiser. Retrieved 19 September 2017.
- "Tyre firm moves into Swindon's iconic former Renault warehouse". Swindon Business News. Retrieved 19 September 2017.