The Remington Model 552 Speedmaster is a blow-back operated, self-loading, semi-automatic rifle that can fire .22 Short, .22 Long and .22 long rifle cartridges. Ammunition is fed from a tubular magazine under the barrel.
|Remington Model 552 "Speedmaster"|
|Place of origin||United States|
|Designer||L.R. Crittendon, E.W. Hailston|
|Mass||5.75 lb (2.61 kg)|
|Length||40 in (100 cm)|
|Barrel length||22 in (56 cm)|
|Cartridge||.22 Short, .22 Long, .22 LR|
History and FeaturesEdit
First introduced in 1957, the model 552 features a self-loading, blowback action featuring a low profile left-side bolt handle that lends itself to a clean receiver appearance and slender profile. The rifle is equipped with both open sights and a 3/8" (9.5 mm) dovetail rail for mounting a scope and a safety on the trigger guard. The Speedmaster was manufactured from 1957 to 1988 in a standard model. In 1966 Remington offered this rifle with a special stamping of the company's 150th anniversary on the left side of the receiver.
In 1991, the walnut butt stock of the BDL Deluxe version was altered to incorporate a Monte Carlo comb to improve cheek weld when using the rifle with a telescopic sight, while the impressed checkering on the butt stock and forearm was changed to machine-cut checkering. in 2017, after complaints that the Monte Carlo comb made the rifle difficult to use with open sights, Remington returned to a straight comb stock design for current production BDL rifles.
The Speedmaster is still produced in an upgraded "BDL" model, featuring a checkered walnut butt stock and forearm with a gloss finish.
- "Model 552 Speedmaster Autoloading Rimfire RIfle". Remington Arms. Archived from the original on 6 March 2013. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- "Model 552 BDL Speedmaster". Remington Arms. Archived from the original on 6 January 2013. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- 1991 Remington Arms Co. Retail Catalog, Wilmington, DE: Remington Arms Co. Inc., H-42190-94 (1991)
- 2017 Remington Arms Co. Retail Catalog, Wilmington, DE: Remington Arms Co. Inc., (2017)
-  (Civilian products website)
-  (Law enforcement products website)
-  (Military products website)