Relangi Venkata Ramayya ( 9 August 1910 – 27 November 1975), known mononymously by his surname as Relangi, was an Indian actor, comedian, and producer known for his works predominantly in Telugu cinema. He was honoured with the Padma Shri for his contribution to Indian cinema in 1970. Relangi is particularly known for his comic expressions, and dialogues during the 1950s and 1960s. Together with Ramana Reddy, they were a comedy double act.
Relangi Venkata Ramayya
|Died||27 November 1975 (aged 65)|
|Occupation(s)||Actor and playback singer|
|Awards||Padma Shri (1970)|
Notable Relangi performances include films like Gunasundari Katha (1949), Vipra Narayana (1954), Missamma (1955), Donga Ramudu (1955), Mayabazar (1957), Appu Chesi Pappu Koodu (1958), Velugu Needalu (1961), Iddaru Mitrulu (1961), Kula Gothralu (1962), Lava Kusa (1963), Chaduvukunna Ammayilu (1963), Nartanasala (1963), and Preminchi Choodu (1965). The Relangi Art Academy Award was instituted in his honour for best comic performances.
Relangi was born in the village of Ravulapalem in the East Godavari district in Madras State (now Andhra Pradesh). He was a professional Harikatha performer and also an expert Harmonium player. He grew up in Kakinada; however, he didn't show interest in education due to his passion for acting.
Relangi started his initial career acting in stage and folk theatre and also took female roles in stage theatre. He started his film career by playing a Vidushaka (Jester) role in his first Telugu film Sri Krishna Thulabaram in 1935 under the direction of C. Pullayya. Later on, he assisted Pullayya as a Production Manager until he got a major break with the film Gollabhama released in 1947. Subsequently, he played a comedic role in Vindhyarani (1948), which was a big hit. He was a regular face in all the movies made under the Vijaya Films banner from 1950. He grew so popular that he was given a chance to play a comedic hero role in Pakka inti Ammayi in 1953 under Pullayya opposite Anjali Devi.
As a comedic actor, he was quite popular when partnered with actress Girija, actress Suryakantham, and another comedian actor, Ramana Reddy. These combinations were repeated for several hit movies in Telugu. Some of the well-known movies in which Relangi acted are shown below.
Some of the well-known songs sung by Relangi are in the following movies:
|1949||Gunasundari Katha||Adive Eduraivachche Daka Padara Munduku Padipodam|
|1951||Patala Bhairavi||Talalene Ne Talalene|
Vinave Bala Naa Prema Gola
|1952||Dharma Devata||Virise Vennelalo|
|1954||Vipra Narayana||Aadadhi Ante Layam Layam Aa Needantene Bhayam Bhayam|
|1954||Pedda Manushulu||SivaSiva moortivi gaNanaadhaa|
|1955||Missamma||Dharmam Cheyyi Babu Kaani Dharmam|
Seetaram Seetaram Seetaram Jai Seetaram
|1966||Paramanandayya Shishyula Katha|
- Relangi acted and produced the film Samajam in 1960.
- Relangi owned a Theater in Tadepalligudem - Relangi Theater.
- In 1970, he was awarded the Padma Shri, a civilian award from the Government of India.
- In The 2019 movie N.T.R: Kathanayakudu, Brahmanandam portrayed him.
- ^ M.L. NARASIMHAM (24 September 2015). "Blast from the past: Illarikam (1959)". The Hindu.
- ^ M L Narasimham (14 January 2016). "Blast from the Past: Mahakavi Kalidasu (1960)". The Hindu.
- ^ "Movie Review". filmchamber.com. Archived from the original on 3 January 2004. Retrieved 14 January 2022.
- ^ a b "RELANGI VENKATRAMAIAH (1910-75) - Tollynation Powered". www.tollynation.com. Archived from the original on 22 October 2007. Retrieved 14 January 2022.
- ^ "Relangi Art Academy awards declared". The Hindu. 19 October 2008.
- ^ "CineGoer.com - Titbits". Archived from the original on 19 April 2012.