Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology
Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology is a monthly peer-reviewed scientific journal which covers legal aspects of toxicological and pharmacological regulations. It is published by Elsevier on behalf of the International Society of Regulatory Toxicology & Pharmacology. The current editor-in-chief is Gio Batta Gori. The journal is financed in part by the tobacco, pharmaceutical, and chemical industries.
|Regul. Toxicol. Pharmacol.|
|Discipline||Toxicology and Pharmacology|
|Edited by||Gio B. Gori|
Elsevier on behalf of the International Society of Toxicology & Pharmacology
In 2002, a group of 45 academics wrote a letter accusing the journal of a concealed pro-industry bias, a possible lack of full and independent peer review, and a failure to disclose conflicts of interest, citing a case in which Gori was paid $30,000 by the Tobacco Institute to write an article later published in the journal dismissing the health risks of secondhand smoke. The letter's coordinator later commented that the journal "reads like an industry trade publication, but it's masked as a peer-reviewed journal" and that it lacked any "credible peer-review process." In response, the journal's publisher implemented a conflict of interest disclosure policy at the journal in January 2003, shortly before the correspondence was published.
Abstracting and indexingEdit
According to the Journal Citation Reports, the journal has a 2014 impact factor of 2.031, ranking it 56th out of 87 journals in the category "Toxicology" and 146th out of 254 journals in the category "Pharmacology & Pharmacy".
- Drope J, Bialous SA, Glantz SA (March 2004). "Tobacco industry efforts to present ventilation as an alternative to smoke-free environments in North America". Tob Control. 13 Suppl 1: i41–7. doi:10.1136/tc.2003.004101. PMC . PMID 14985616.
- Egilman, David, ed. (2003). "Correspondence about Publication Ethics and Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology". International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health. 9 (4): 286–391. doi:10.1179/oeh.2003.9.4.386.
- Gori, Gio Batta; Mantel, Nathan (August 1991). "Mainstream and environmental tobacco smoke". Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology. Elsevier. 14 (1): 88–105. doi:10.1016/0273-2300(91)90054-Y.
- Guterman, Lila (November 20, 2002). "Scientists Accuse Toxicology Journal of Industry Ties, Urge Disclosure of Conflicts of Interest". Chronicle of Higher Education.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Toxicology". 2014 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Sciences ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2015.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Pharmacology & Pharmacy". 2014 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Sciences ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2015.