Red Hot + Blue
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Red Hot + Blue is the first in the series of compilation albums from the Red Hot Organization. The recording was the first in the Red Hot Benefit Series. It features contemporary pop performers reinterpreting several songs of Cole Porter, and the title of the album comes from Cole Porter's musical Red, Hot and Blue.
|Red Hot + Blue|
|Compilation album by Various artists|
|Released||September 25, 1990|
|Producer||Steve Lillywhite, Afrika Bambaataa|
|Red Hot Organization chronology|
2006 CD/DVD re-issue
Released in 1990, it sold over a million copies worldwide and was heralded as one of the first major AIDS benefits in the music business. The accompanying ABC television special featured music videos for the songs. The clips portrayed the societal effects of AIDS.
Although no singles were released from the album in the United States the song "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?", covered in a techno style by Thompson Twins, received regular airplay on San Francisco's Live 105 (KITS). This was one of the two songs not to have a video counterpart. U2's cover of "Night and Day" reached #2 on the Modern Rock Tracks chart, and presaged the electronic sound the band would explore on Achtung Baby the following year.
In 2006 Red Hot + Blue was re-issued as a two-disc set including the original CD remastered, and a DVD of the video collection.
- "I've Got You Under My Skin" performed by Neneh Cherry (Video by Jean-Baptiste Mondino)
- "In the Still of the Night" performed by The Neville Brothers (Video by Jonathan Demme)
- "You Do Something to Me" performed by Sinéad O'Connor (video by John Maybury)
- "Begin the Beguine" performed by Salif Keita (video by Zak Ove)
- "Love for Sale" performed by Fine Young Cannibals
- "Well, Did You Evah!" performed by Deborah Harry + Iggy Pop (video by Alex Cox)
- "Miss Otis Regrets / Just One of Those Things" performed by The Pogues + Kirsty MacColl (video by Neil Jordan)
- "Don't Fence Me In" performed by David Byrne (video by David Byrne)
- "It's All Right with Me" performed by Tom Waits (video by Jim Jarmusch)
- "Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye" performed by Annie Lennox (video by Ed Lachman)
- "Night and Day" performed by U2 (video by Wim Wenders)
- "I Love Paris" performed by Les Négresses Vertes (video by Roger Pomphrey)
- "So in Love" performed by k.d. lang (video by Percy Adlon)
- "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" performed by Thompson Twins
- "Too Darn Hot" performed by Erasure (video by Adelle Lutz and Sandy McLeod)
- "I Get a Kick out of You" performed by Jungle Brothers (video by Mark Pellington)
- "Down in the Depths" performed by Lisa Stansfield (video by Phillippe Gautier)
- "From This Moment On" performed by Jimmy Somerville (video by Steve Mclean)
- "After You, Who?" performed by Jody Watley (video by Matthew Rolston)
- "Do I Love You?" performed by Aztec Camera (video by John Scarlett-Davies)