Red Fang is an American heavy metal band from Portland, Oregon, formed in 2005. It is composed of guitarist and vocalist Bryan Giles, bassist and vocalist Aaron Beam, guitarist David Sullivan and drummer John Sherman. The band has released four studio albums: Red Fang in 2009, Murder the Mountains in 2011, Whales and Leeches in 2013 and Only Ghosts in 2016.
Red Fang performing at Mayhem Festival 2011
|Origin||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Genres||Sludge metal, stoner rock|
|Labels||Relapse, Sargent House|
Red Fang started out on Wantage USA Records in Montana, where the band released its self-titled LP. Red Fang's 2009 debut for record label Sargent House/WANTAGE USA combined its first two releases, which were limited-release EPs. The band followed this debut with Murder the Mountains, released on Relapse Records in 2011 produced by Chris Funk. Red Fang also appeared on 2011's Metalliance tour alongside the bands Crowbar and Helmet; the same year, Red Fang opened the Jägermeister stage on 2011's edition of the annual Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival which also featured headliners Megadeth, Godsmack, and Disturbed.
On September 12, 2011, Red Fang was announced as one of the openers (the other being The Dillinger Escape Plan) for Mastodon's 2011 and 2012 tours in the United States and Europe respectively. Later in 2012, Red Fang embarked on a European headlining tour with Black Tusk, performing for the first time in various countries including Russia, Ukraine, and Greece.
The band performed on Late Show with David Letterman in January 2014 after its 2013 release "Whales and Leeches" peaked at No. 66 on Billboard's Top 200. The show's musical director Paul Shaffer sat in with Red Fang, playing organ during the band's performance of "Blood Like Cream."
- Bryan Giles – guitar, vocals
- Aaron Beam – bass guitar, vocals
- David Sullivan – lead guitar
- John Sherman – drums
- Red Fang (Sargent House, 2009)
- Murder the Mountains (Relapse Records, 2011) #25 US Top Heatseekers
- Whales and Leeches (Relapse Records, 2013) #66 US Billboard 200
- Only Ghosts (Relapse Records, 2016) #143 US Billboard 200
- "Prehistoric Dog" (Sargent House, 2009)
- "Witness" (self-released, 2009)
- "Wires" (Relapse Records, 2011)
- "Crows in Swine" (Relapse Records, 2012)
- "Blood Like Cream" (Relapse Records, 2013)
- "No Hope" (Relapse Records, 2013)
- "Only Fools Rush In/Why?" (Volcom Entertainment, 2015)
- "Antidote" (Relapse Records, 2019)
EPs & splits
- Tour E.P. 2 (Wantage USA, 2007)
- Malverde/Favorite Son split w/ Tweak Bird (Volcom Entertainment, 2008)
- Red Fang/ASG split (Relapse Records, 2013)
- Scion AV Presents Red Fang (2014)
- Teamrock.com presents an Absolute Music Bunker Session with Red Fang (self-released, 2014)
- Other appearances
The band released music videos for several of their songs, which helped them getting fame in the scene due to their comical nature.
- "Prehistoric Dog" (2010)
- "Wires" (2011) featuring Brian Posehn
- "Hank Is Dead" (2012)
- "Dirt Wizard" (2012)
- "Blood Like Cream" (2013) featuring Fred Armisen
- "The Meadows" (2014)
- "Crows in Swine" (2014)
- "Shadows" (2016)
- "Cut It Short" (2017)
- "Listen to the Sirens" (2018) Tubeway Army cover.
- "Antidote" (2019)