Rebecca Hensler founded the social media and internet support group 'Grief Beyond Belief' for grieving people who do not believe in God or an afterlife in 2011. She was encouraged to found it by atheist activist Greta Christina. Hensler's own son Jude died in 2009 after ninety days of life. Hensler has published a book called The Secular Grief Support Handbook that includes much of what she’s learned along the way. Hensler has a BA in political activism and a MS in counseling. She also works as a school counselor at a public middle school in San Francisco, and lives in the Bay Area with her wife.
- Greta Christina (2015-06-18). "8 atheist leaders actually worth listening to". Salon.com. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- "Grief without God is a challenge for nonbelievers – USATODAY.com". Usatoday30.usatoday.com. 2012-02-17. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- Greta Christina (2013-06-25). "7 groups atheists can turn to in times of need". Salon.com. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- 02/22/2012 6:27 pm EST (2012-02-22). "Grief Beyond Belief | David Casarett, M.D". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- "Rebecca Hensler's Secular Grief Support Handbook". Indiegogo. Retrieved 17 October 2018.
- "The People Behind". Grief Beyond Belief. 2018-07-21. Retrieved 2018-07-21.
- "The People Behind". Grief Beyond Belief. 2013-04-23. Retrieved 2015-08-08.