realme is a Chinese smartphone manufacturer headquartered in Shenzhen. The company was founded on May 4, 2018 by Sky Li (Li Bingzhong), who was former vice president of Oppo. Its a spinoff from Oppo who collectively owns it with BBK Electronics.
|Founded||May 4, 2018|
|Parent||Oppo, BBK Electronics|
realme first appeared in China in 2010 with the name "OPPO Real". It was a sub-brand of Oppo (which is itself a subsidiary of BBK Electronics) until its formation as a spinoff on May 4, 2018. Oppo did not specify whether it had transferred its participation in Realme to BBK.
In May 2018, they released their first phone, Realme 1.
On July 30, 2018, former Oppo Vice President and Head of Oppo's Overseas Department, Sky Li, announced his official resignation from Oppo and his intention to establish Realme as an independent brand on Weibo. With the company slogan "Dare to Leap", he declared that in the future, the Realme brand would focus on providing mobile phones with solid performance and stylish design, offering young people a joyful life with affordable "technology" and "beauty".
On 15 November 2018, Realme adopted a new logo.
On November 22, 2018, Realme became the No. 1 emerging brand in the Indian market. The sales of Realme devices in India have since surpassed the sales of its parent company Oppo. Realme has been the fourth largest smartphone brand in India since 2019, behind Xiaomi, Samsung, and Vivo. Realme holds many records in India including India's first 64MP smartphone, India's fastest-charging smartphone, and India's first 5G smartphone.
In June 2019, Realme officially announced its entry into the European market.
On June 26, 2019, Realme released its first photo taken with its 64MP camera.
According to a report from the international analyst institution Counterpoint, Realme recorded shipping 4.7 million units worldwide in the second quarter of 2019, which is an 848% year-on-year increase, and has become one of the top 10 mobile phone manufacturers in the world.
By August 2019, Realme had surpassed 10 million users worldwide.
- "Vivo ships 5.8 million smartphones to India in Q2 2019; breaks its own record". www.canaly.coms. 2019-07-29. Retrieved 2019-07-29.
- Prado, Phillip (2018-10-31). "BBK Group could soon surpass Samsung as top dog". Android Authority. Retrieved 2019-11-21.
- "Hit the road again | Realme on Facebook". Retrieved 2018-07-30.
- Artashyan, Argam (2018-07-30). "Realme Seperates [sic] From OPPO: Another OnePlus?". GizChina. Gizchina Media. Retrieved 2018-07-30.
- Hazarika, Skanda (29 July 2020). "Realme 2 Pro and Realme 5/5s/5i Android 10 kernel source code now available". xda-developers. Retrieved 15 August 2020.
- Yordan (2018-07-31). "Oppo VP moves to become Realme CEO, targets global brand expansion". GSMArena.com. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- "Realme, the No.1 Emerging Brand now: CMR". CyberMedia Research | CMR. Retrieved 2020-03-14.
- Jeet (2019-04-24). "Realme officially announces its entry in China". Gizmochina. Retrieved 2020-03-14.
- Media, Kompas Cyber. "Harga Berikut Spesifikasi Lengkap Realme X dan Realme X Lite". KOMPAS.com (in Indonesian). Retrieved 2020-03-14.
- Hamza, Muhammad (2019-08-07). "Worldwide user of realme has passed 10 million". Technology Times. Retrieved 2020-03-14.
- "Realme 64MP Quad Camera Prototype Hands-On: Another Daring Leap". xda-developers. 2019-08-10. Retrieved 2020-03-14.
- "Realme 64 MP camera smartphone to be announced on 15 August". The Mobile Indian. 2019-08-06. Retrieved 2020-03-14.