Reading West (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Reading West in Berkshire.
Location of Berkshire within England.
|Major settlements||Reading, Theale and Tilehurst|
|Member of Parliament||Alok Sharma (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Reading North, Newbury and Reading South|
|European Parliament constituency||South East England|
The Reading West parliamentary constituency was first contested in 1983, when it was won by a member of the Conservative party, Tony Durant, the sitting MP for the abolished Reading North constituency. He held the seat through two subsequent general elections until he retired at the 1997 election.
The constituency was then won by Martin Salter for Labour, as part of the landslide that brought Labour back to power under Tony Blair. Salter held the seat through the 13 years of Labour government until Parliament was dissolved in April 2010, but did not stand in the 2010 general election, when Alok Sharma won the seat for the Conservatives.
As of the 2017 general election, the seat is one of six Conservative seats from a total of eight seats in Berkshire.
Since its 1983 creation the constituency has been a bellwether paradigm example of a marginal seat. Boundary changes have taken in areas of population expansion to the east in new largely private sector housing estates for the 2010 election. Unemployment is close to the regional average, which is lower than the national average and the constituency has seen a marked increase in properties and property prices throughout from 2001–2011 period which has seen town centre regeneration and investment by a Labour Party-controlled council enhanced by Reading railway station hub improvements and enterprise areas equally supported under the Conservative-led governments of the Cameron Ministry and May Ministry.
Boundaries and boundary changesEdit
1983-1997: Formed as a county constituency, largely from parts of the abolished Borough Constituency of Reading North. Extended westwards to include parts of the County Constituency of Newbury. It comprised the Borough of Reading wards of Battle, Katesgrove, Kentwood, Minster, Norcot, Southcote, and Tilehurst, and the District of Newbury wards of Calcot, Pangbourne, Purley, Theale, and Tilehurst.
1997-2010: The Borough of Reading wards of Battle, Kentwood, Minster, Norcot, Southcote, Tilehurst, and Whitley, and the District of Newbury wards of Calcot, Pangbourne, Purley, Theale, and Tilehurst.
The boundary with Reading East was realigned, gaining Whitley ward and losing Katesgrove ward.
2010–present: The Borough of Reading wards of Battle, Kentwood, Minster, Norcot, Southcote, Tilehurst, and Whitley, and the District of West Berkshire wards of Birch Copse, Calcot, Pangbourne, Purley on Thames, Theale, and Westwood.
Marginal changes are due to revision of local authority wards.
Changes proposed for 2022Edit
The Boundary Commission for England submitted their final proposals in respect of the Sixth Periodic Review of Westminster Constituencies (the 2018 review) in September 2018. If these proposals are approved by Parliament they will reduce the total number of MPs from 650 to 600 and come into effect at the next UK general election which is due to take place in May 2022 under the terms of the Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011.
The Commission proposed that two District of West Berkshire wards (Basildon and Bucklebury) be transferred from Newbury and that the Borough of Reading ward of Battle be transferred to Reading East.
Members of ParliamentEdit
Elections in the 2010sEdit
|Liberal Democrat||Meri O’Connell||3,041||5.9||+1.0|
|Liberal Democrat||Meri O'Connell||2,355||4.9||-15.2|
|Liberal Democrat||Daisy Benson||9,546||20.1||4.3|
|Common Sense||Howard Thomas||852||1.8||N/A|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing||+12.1|
|Source Reading Borough Council, BBC|
Elections in the 2000sEdit
|Liberal Democrat||Denise Gaines||6,663||15.8||+3.0|
|Source Electoral Commission|
|Liberal Democrat||Polly Martin||5,387||12.8||+0.1|
|Source Guardian Unlimited, ONS|
Elections in the 1990sEdit
|Liberal Democrat||Dee Tomlin||6,153||12.7||-5.4|
|Referendum||Steven G Brown||976||2.0||N/A|
|UKIP||David M Black||255||0.5||N/A|
|Labour gain from Conservative||Swing||-15.7|
|Source Guardian Unlimited|
|Liberal Democrat||KH Lock||9,572||18.1||−4.3|
Elections in the 1980sEdit
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and referencesEdit
- "England Parliamentary electorates 2010-2018". Boundary Commission for England. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- "'Reading West', June 1983 up to May 1997". ElectionWeb Project. Cognitive Computing Limited. Retrieved 13 March 2016.[permanent dead link]
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- 2011 census interactive maps Archived 29 January 2016 at the Wayback Machine
- "The Parliamentary Constituencies (England) Order 1983". www.legislation.gov.uk. Retrieved 3 February 2019.
- "The Parliamentary Constituencies (England) Order 1995". www.legislation.gov.uk. Retrieved 3 February 2019.
- "The Parliamentary Constituencies (England) Order 2007". www.legislation.gov.uk. Retrieved 3 February 2019.
- "Election Maps". Ordnance Survey. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- Boundary Commission for England, 2018 Review, Associated consultation documents (September 2018). "Final recommendations report".CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "R" (part 1)
- Reading Borough Council statement of persons nominated 2017
- "Reading Borough Council". www.reading.gov.uk.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Fort, Linda (9 December 2014). "Reading West has new independent General Election candidate".
- "Parliamentary results 2015". Reading Borough Council.
- "UK Polling Report". ukpollingreport.co.uk.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Statement of Persons Nominated – Notice of Poll – Reading West Constituency" (PDF). Reading Borough Council. Archived from the original (PDF) on 23 April 2010. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- "Election 2010 – Reading West". BBC. 2010. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Electoral Commission – Reading West". Electoral Commission. 2005. Archived from the original on 14 May 2010. Retrieved 29 May 2010.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Ask Aristotle – Reading West". London: Guardian Unlimited. 2005. Archived from the original on 11 April 2005. Retrieved 4 May 2005.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 6 December 2010.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.