Raymond L. Garthoff
Raymond Leonard "Ray" Garthoff (born March 26, 1929) is a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution, a specialist on arms control, intelligence, the Cold War, NATO, and the former Soviet Union. He is a former U.S. Ambassador to Bulgaria, and has advised the U.S. State Department on treaties.
Raymond L. Garthoff
|United States Ambassador to Bulgaria|
July 29, 1977 – October 9, 1979
|Preceded by||Martin F. Herz|
|Succeeded by||Jack Richard Perry|
|Born||1929 (age 89–90)|
|Profession||Diplomat, Career Ambassador|
In 1948, he received his B.A. from Princeton University. In 1949, he received his M.A. from Yale. From 1950 to 1957, he was a Soviet analyst for RAND Corporation. In 1951, he received his PhD from Yale. From 1957 to 1961, he was a CIA Office of National Estimates (ONE) analyst. In the early 1960s, he was a special assistant in the State Department. In the 1970s, he was a senior Foreign Service inspector. From 1980 to 1994, he was a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution. He is the author of numerous scholarly papers, books, and has been featured in PBS documentaries.
- "Putin's Policies Promise Measured Change". Los Angeles Times. Brookings Institution. 2 April 2000. Archived from the original on 17 February 2012.
- Reflections on the Cuban Missile Crisis: Revised To Include New Revelations from Soviet & Cuban Sources (Revised) by Raymond Garthoff (Paperback - Jun 2, 1989
- The Great Transition: American-Soviet Relations and the End of the Cold War. Raymond L. Garthoff The Brookings Institution, 1994, 834 pp. overs 1981 to 1991
- Détente and Confrontation: American-Soviet Relations from Nixon to Reagan by Raymond L. Garthoff (1985; revised 2nd ed. 1994) covers 1970-1980 online free to borrow
- Deterrence and the Revolution in Soviet Military Doctrine by Raymond L. Garthoff (1990)
- Soviet Military Policy; A Historical Analysis by Raymond L. Garthoff (Hardcover - 1966)
- Soviet Strategy in the Nuclear Age *Praeger Pubs. in Russian History and World Communism, No. 71 by Raymond L. Garthoff (Hardcover - 1958)
- Policy Versus the Law: The Reinterpretation of the Abm Treaty by Raymond L. Garthoff (Paperback - Oct 1987)
- Sino-Soviet Military Relations by Raymond L. Garthoff (Unknown Binding - 1966)
- A Journey Through the Cold War: A Memoir of Containment and Coexistence by Raymond L. Garthoff (Hardcover - Jun 30, 2001)
- Assessing the Adversary: Estimates by the Eisenhower Administration of Soviet Intentions and Capabilities (Brookings Occasional Papers) by Raymond L. Garthoff (Paperback - Sep 1991)
- Soviet Image of Future War by Raymond Garthoff (Hardcover - Jun 1959)
- Intelligence Assessment and Policymaking: A Decision Point in the Kennedy Administration by Raymond L. Garthoff (Paperback - Jul 1984)
- Science and Technology in Contemporary War **Praeger Pubs. in Russian History and World Communism, No.74** by MG G.I. (Raymond L. Garthoff, Translator/Annotator) Pokrovsky (Hardcover - 1959)
- The tragedy of Hungary: A revolution won and lost (P-984) by Raymond L Garthoff (Unknown Binding - 1956)
- The Soviet High Command and General Staff (P-684) by Raymond L Garthoff (Unknown Binding - 1955
- The new Soviet leadership Santa Monica, Calif. RAND Corp. by Raymond L Garthoff (Unknown Binding - 1953)
- "Garthoff Bio". Brookings Institution. Archived from the original on 5 August 2011.
- thinktank bio PBS bio Accessed Dec 15, 2007
- Misinterpreting the Cold War: The Hardliners Were Right, Richard Pipes, Foreign Affairs, January/February 1995. Pipes' attempt to rebut Garthoff's book. Accessed Aug. 19, 2017