Rau (also referred to as Rauu) is a 1972 Marathi historical fiction novel by N S Inamdar. The story revolves around the fictionalized romance between real-life historical characters of the Maratha General Peshwa Baji Rao I and his second wife Mastani (born of a Hindu father and Muslim mother). The novel revolves around the outrage caused by the relationship among Baji Rao's family members and the orthodox priests.
|Author||Nagnath S. Inamdar|
Rau was adapted into a feature film in 2015 as Bajirao Mastani, it was directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali and starred Deepika Padukone, Ranveer Singh and Priyanka Chopra in lead roles. The novel has also been used as a basis for several other films and TV series in both Hindi and Marathi since its publication.
- Chari, Mridula. "How Bajirao and Mastani became a byword for doomed romance". Scroll.in. Retrieved 2017-12-02.
- Ghosh, Shingita (6 December 2016). "6 Epic Films That Took Forever To Make". Film Companion. Archived from the original on 30 August 2017. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- "Bharatiya Jnanpith". www.jnanpith.net. Retrieved 2017-12-13.
- "Found in translation". The Hindu. 2016-09-09. Retrieved 2017-12-02.
- Rau - The Great Love Story of Bajirao Mastani (English translation by Vikrant Pande) at Google Books