Rashtriya Lok Dal
Rashtriya Lok Dal (abbreviated as RLD) (translation: National People's Party) is a political party in India. Chaudhary Ajit Singh is the founder and the president of the party. He is carrying on the political legacy of his father and former Prime Minister of India, Charan Singh and the original Lok Dal.
|Split from||Janata Dal|
|Preceded by||Lok Dal|
|Seats in Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly|
0 / 403
|Seats in Rajasthan Legislative Assembly|
1 / 200
The party has one MLA in Rajasthan Legislative Assembly Dr. Subhash Garg, who is also serving as MoS (I/C) in the Ashok Gehlot led-govt. RLD is considered influential in the western region of Uttar Pradesh.
In 2002, party had two cabinet ministers in chief minister Ms. Mayawati's cabinet. From 2003 to 2007, the party had six ministers in the Uttar Pradesh government. The party's official electoral symbol is a hand pump.
On 12 December 2011, RLD joined the United Progressive Alliance led by Indian National Congress. The party contested on eight constituencies in Uttar Pradesh in 2014 Indian general election as per an arrangement with UPA but lost on all of them. Party chief Ajit Singh who was six term holder from Baghpat seat, lost to BJP candidate Satya Pal Singh. His son Jayant Chaudhary, the incumbent MP from Mathura, lost to BJP candidate Hema Malini too.
In 2017 Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly election, it could win only one seat. Later, its lone MLA is expelled from the party.
In 2018 Rajasthan Legislative Assembly election the RLD won one seat from Bharatpur Legislative Assembly Constituency. The Party candidate Dr.Subhash Garg won by beating BJP candidate by a margin of over 15500 votes.
In 2019, RLD joined the Grand Alliance made by BSP and SP in Uttar Pradesh for the General Elections 2019. As per the seat-sharing arrangement, RLD got 3 seats viz. Baghpat, Mathura and Muzaffarnagar but lost all of these. Sanjiv baliyan defeated Ajit Singh from m.nagar constituency and Satyapal Singh defeated Jayant Choudhary from baghpat constituency while actress Hema Malini defeated kunwar Singh from Mathura constituency. So loss of all seats.
MPs (Lok Sabha)Edit
Party's MP in Lok Sabha:
- currently party has no MPs
MLAs (VIDHAN SABHA)Edit
Party's MLAs in legislative assembly:
- Dr. Subhash garg (Bharatpur, Rajasthan)
- BKKP, RLD merge with Lok Dal
- Seth, Maulshree (28 May 2014). "Post rout, RLD mulls solo fight in Assembly bypolls". Lucknow: The Indian Express. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- "Besides the Chief Minister, Ms. Mayawati, Rashtriya Lok Dal, the largest partner of the BJP during the last elections, had two Ministers — both of Cabinet rank".
- Political Parties and Election Symbols
- RLD leaders upset over poll pact
- "Cong to leave 8 seats for RLD, 3 for Mahan Dal in western UP". Indian Express. 9 March 2014. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- Shah, Pankaj (16 May 2014). "Election Results 2014: Ajit Singh's RLD bites the dust in UP". The Times of India. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- "RLD springs a surprise: Dumps ally Congress to support BSP".
- "Miffed with Cong, RLD to back BSP in MLC polls".
- "Unlikely allies in Council polls: RLD, BSP".