Ranker is a digital media company located in Los Angeles. The site features polls on entertainment, brands, sports and culture. Ranker is reported to have over 49 million monthly unique visitors. Ranker claims to be one of the largest databases of opinions with more than 250 million votes gathered on over one million items. Ranker has hundreds of thousands of lists of opinions.
|Headquarters||Los Angeles, United States|
Number of employees
These lists have been referenced as a source for many pop-culture publications. Ranker is designed to collect individual user votes and track them across various lists, powering an insights tool showing millions of correlations between interests across pop culture.
Launched in August 2009, the site was founded by Clark Benson, who created Ranker as an alternative to user reviews available on ecommerce sites. Ranker offers crowdsourced polls and lists across a variety of topics, including rankings of food, drinks, and celebrities.
Ranker’s board members include Draper Associates investor Joel Yarmon. Ranker has raised $7.5 million in capital, including Benson’s initial stake. Investors include Draper Associates, Rincon Venture Partners, Lowercase Capital, Wavemaker, BullPen Capital and various angels, like Factual founder Gil Elbaz and Ryan Steelberg.
In December 2016, Ranker launched "Ranker Insights" which offers people voting correlation data for free. A deeper level of insights is also available for brands and studios to use for things like casting, marketing and recommendations.
ROIQ, developed first to scale and optimize Ranker content, is now a low-cost SaaS plugin that helps publishers scale paid Facebook traffic profitably. ROIQ tracks page-level ROI against Facebook ad costs by programmatically managing and optimizing thousands of campaigns, showing the results via realtime reporting.
- Pofeldt, Elaine. "Can This Fast-Growing, Freelance-Fueled Site Take On BuzzFeed And Vice?". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- Bilton, Ricardo (October 8, 2014). "Ranker turns crowdsourced lists into big data". Digiday.
- "Sorry, America: Ellen DeGeneres Is Not Running for President". E! Online. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- "Ranker Insights Blog". Ranker Insights Blog. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- "See What Your Candy of Choice Says About Your Fave Celebs". E! Online. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- "Under the radar, Ranker quietly builds a huge online footprint". The Drum. Retrieved 2017-06-01.
- "Ranker | crunchbase". www.crunchbase.com. Retrieved 2017-06-01.
- Dave, Paresh (2016-12-06). "Like Kanye West but hate Chipotle? Start-up Ranker helps brands tailor ads for you". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2017-06-01.
- "A Psychographic Interests Platform". Ranker Insights. Retrieved July 26, 2017.
- Dave, Paresh. "Like Kanye West but hate Chipotle? Start-up Ranker helps brands tailor ads for you". latimes.com. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- "Most A/B Tests Don't Produce Significant Results - eMarketer". eMarketer. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- "How a list nerd grew Ranker.com to 27,000,000 monthly visitors - with Clark Benson - Mixergy". Mixergy. Retrieved 2018-04-20.