Ranjit Singh Cheema
Ranjit Singh Cheema
|Died||2 May 2012|
|Cause of death||Targeted drive-by shooting|
|Known for||Drug trader, cocaine trafficking|
He was killed on 2 May 2012 in a targeted drive-by shooting, just three months after being released from prison for the attempted sale of 200 kilograms of heroin. According to Crime Journalist Kim Bolan and her police sources, "Since returning from a California prison three months ago, longtime Vancouver gangster Ranjit Singh Cheema had been trying to muscle his way back into the lucrative B.C. drug trade before he was gunned down Wednesday. In the process, Cheema disrespected some of his former underlings who have moved up in the business since the 43-year-old went to jail. Some close to Cheema, as well as police sources, believe recent disputes with old associates could have led to the gangland execution of the former south slope crime boss in front of his parents’ house on East 61st Avenue. "He was trying to step into his old role," one friend said. "He didn't realize that things have changed."
- BOLAN, KIM. "Hundreds attend funeral of gangster Ranjit Cheema amid strong police monitoring". www.vancouversun.com. Vancouver, Canada: Vancouver Sun. Archived from the original on 2018-10-25. Retrieved 2019-08-02.
- "Cheema's history". CBC News. Canada: CBC.ca. 2 May 2012.
- "Vancouver gangster Ranj Cheema survived assassination attempts, hard prison time before murder: Globalnews.ca". globalnews.ca. Canada: Global News. 2012-05-03. Archived from the original on 2015-11-09. Retrieved 2019-08-02.
- "Dhaliwal says he made a mistake: CTV News". bc.ctvnews.ca. Canada: CTV News. 2008-09-11. Archived from the original on 2018-11-08. Retrieved 2019-08-02.
- Sun, Toronto; News; Canada; Email, Share B. C. gangster gunned down in drive-by hit Tumblr Pinterest Google Plus Reddit LinkedIn; Tumblr; Pinterest; Plus, Google; Reddit; LinkedIn (2012-05-03). "B.C. gangster gunned down in drive-by hit: Toronto Sun". Toronto, Canada: Toronto Sun. Retrieved 2019-08-02.
- Cheema, Sukhminder Singh. "Gallery: Scenes from a gang hit on Ranjit Cheema in East Vancouver". www.calgaryherald.com. Calgary, Alberta, Canada: Calgary Herald. Archived from the original on 2018-12-14. Retrieved 2019-08-02.
- "Vancouver gangster shot dead outside parents' home | CBC News". CBC. May 2, 2012. Retrieved 16 November 2020.
- May 2, Kim Bolan Updated; 2014 (2012-05-02). "Vancouver drive-by shooting victim is high-profile gangster Ranjit Cheema | Vancouver Sun". Retrieved 2020-01-06.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)