Rangrezz is a 2013 Indian action drama film directed by Priyadarshan starring Jackky Bhagnani, Priya Anand, Rajpal Yadav, Vijay Verma and Amitosh Nagpal in the lead roles. This is the first action film of Jackky Bhagnani. The film is also an official remake of the Tamil film Naadodigal directed by Samuthirakani, which has already been remade in Telugu as Shambo Shiva Shambo, in Malayalam as Ithu Nammude Katha, in Kannada as Hudugaru, and in Bengali as Run. The film was titled by Shah Rukh Khan, who had registered it through his production company Red Chillies Entertainment. The film being one of the most auspicious films of Jackky Bhagnani, was promoted extensively by the producers. The special merchandise of the film was also released by Tradus.com under the promotion Holi Ke Rang Rangrezz Ke Sang . The film also features the super hit song Gangnam Style, sung by PSY. The film has been produced by Vashu Bhagnani under his production banner Pooja Entertainment India Ltd. It was after a gap of fifteen years that Priyadarshan and Santosh Sivan have come together for this film; the last time before Rangrezz they had worked together in Kaalapani, starring Mohanlal in the lead role.
|Produced by||Vashu Bhagnani|
|Written by||Mushtaq Shiekh|
|Edited by||T. S. Suresh|
₹63.7 million (US$890,000)|
The film released officially on 21 March 2013. Upon its release, the film met positive reviews from critics, with most of the critics praising the performances of Jackky Bhagnani, Vijay Verma and Rajpal Yadav, along with praise for the film's cinematography.
- Jackky Bhagnani as Rishi Deshpande
- Priya Anand as Megha Joshi
- Amitosh Nagpal as Vinu
- Vijay Varma as Pakkya
- Akshara Gowda as Jasmine
- Raaghav Chanana as Joy
- Rishikesh Deshpande as Chacha Chaudhari
- Pankaj Tripathi as Brijbihari Pande
- Lushin Dubey as Rati Chaturvedi
- Sunil Sinha as Devdutta Deshpande
- Sona Nair as Devyani Deshpande
- Sakhi Gokhale as Venu
- Milind Wagh as Major
- Milind Phatak as Carpenter
The movie released on 21 March 2013, on the festive season of Holi. The film was cleared with a U/A certificate from the CBFC after a total of 18 cuts. The BBFC gave it a 12A rating for moderate violence and gore.
On release Rangrezz got positive reviews from critics. Ankur Pathak from Rediff.com gave the film 3/5 stars, and said Rangrezz works despite being saddled with a rather cliched plot. NDTV also similarly rated 3/5, calling it Priyadarshan's "best work in years". Indiaglitz rated it 3.5/5 and stated "Salaam Youngistaan...dil se" BollywoodMDB rated it 4/5 and called it a must watch movie. Bollywood life rated it 3/5 and said "Priyadarshan's realistic take on friendship is commendable". Bookmyshow also rated it 3/5, calling it "a moderately entertaining masala film skillfully based on traditional Indian values". Filmfare rated it 3/5, thus responding positively. Filmibeat rated the movie 3/5, thus being another positive score for the film. Zee News also similarly rated the movie 3/5, along with a positive verdict. Sify similarly rated it 3/5, along with the statement "Cupid's arrow has never struck a deadlier blow". Daiji World rated the movie 3/5, also responding positively.
|Soundtrack album by Sajid-Wajid|
Sundar C Babu
|Released||20 February 2013|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
Three songs are composed by Sajid-Wajid. Tamil composer, Sundar C Babu (who composed for the original Tamil film) makes his debut in Hindi with two songs. Musicperk.com rated the album 7/10 quoting "Another predictable album from Sajid-Wajid".
All lyrics written by Sameer Anjaan..
|1.||"Dil Ko Aaya Sukoon"||Rahat Fateh Ali Khan & Hirali Brahmbhatt||4:41|
|2.||"Govinda Aala Re"||Wajid Ali||4:36|
|3.||"Shiv Shambho" (composed by Sundar C Babu)||Wajid Khan||4:35|
|4.||"Yaaron Aisa Hai" (composed by Sundar C Babu)||Salim Merchant||4:58|
Character map of remakesEdit
|Shambo Shiva Shambo
|Ithu Nammude Katha
Rangrezz, despite getting positive reviews, did not repeat the same success of Naadodigal. The film had an average opening and collected Rs.1 Crore on the first day of its release, along with collecting Rs.4 crore in its opening weekend. The film collected a total of Rs. 6.37 Crores in its lifetime run at the Box Office.
- "Rangrezz – Box Office". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- "Upcoming southern remakes in Bollywood". Times of India. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- "SRK gives away 'Rangrezz' title to Vashu Bhagnani". Bollywood Hungama. 19 December 2012. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- "Rangrezz Merchandise Launched". Box Office India. 25 March 2013. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- "Vashu Bhagnani buys Gangnam Style rights for son Jackky's film Rangrezz". India Today Online. 8 February 2013. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- Maniar, Parag (8 October 2012). "Santosh Sivan and Priyadarshan together nearly after two decades". Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- Filmfare Editorial (30 January 2013). "First look: Rangrezz". Filmfare. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- "Rangrezz Review". BollywoodMDB. 22 March 2013. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- "Rangrezz (2013)". BBFC. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- "Movie Search Results: Rangrezz". CBFC. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- Pathak, Ankur (22 March 2013). "Review: Rangrezz is a powerful social drama". Rediff.com. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- "Movie Review: Rangrezz". NDTV Movies. Indo-Asian News Service. 21 March 2013. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- Varma, Vishal (22 March 2013). "Rangrezz Movie Review – Salam Youngistaan... Dil Se". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- Payak, Latika (22 March 2013). "Rangrezz movie review: Priyadarshan's realistic take on friendship is commendable". BollywoodLife. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- "Rangrezz: Movie Review". book my show. Bigtree Entertainment. 22 March 2013. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- Gupta, Rachit (24 March 2013). "Movie Review: Rangrezz". Filmfare. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- "Rangrezz: Critics Review". Filmibeat. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- Subhash K.Jha/IANS (22 March 2013). "`Rangrezz` review: Film questions overrated emotion- love". Zeenews. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- "Rangrezz review: Cupid's arrow has never struck a deadlier blow". Sify Movies. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- "Movie Review: 'Rangrezz'". Daiji World. 22 March 2013. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- Srikrishna (13 March 2013). "Rangrezz". Musicperk. Retrieved 24 March 2013.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 4 October 2013. Retrieved 18 September 2013.