|Governor of Uttar Pradesh|
22 July 2014
|Preceded by||Aziz Qureshi|
|Member of Parliament|
|Preceded by||Anoopchand Shah|
|Succeeded by||Govinda Ahuja|
|Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas|
|Prime Minister||Atal Bihari Vajpayee|
|Succeeded by||Mani Shankar Aiyar|
16 April 1934 |
Atpadi, Bombay Presidency, British India
|Political party||Bharatiya Janata Party|
Ram Naik was a member of the 13th Lok Sabha and was Minister of Oil and Natural Gas in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee cabinet (1999-2004). He was instrumental in introducing Member of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme. He was the BJP candidate for elections to the 14th Lok Sabha representing Mumbai North, but lost to famous Bollywood actor Govinda, a INC candidate from Virar.
A Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh volunteer since childhood, he holds a law degree. He started his political career with the Bharatiya Jana Sangh in 1964 and was involved in organizing a group of rail commuters in Mumbai. He represented Borivli in the state assembly in 1978 and was re-elected twice, before becoming Minister of State for Railways in 1998, when he was influential in forming the Mumbai Railway Vikas Corporation.
Within a few months of his being appointed as governor, he stated that "The Ram Temple should be built as soon as possible, this is what the people of this country want and their wishes should be fulfilled." The theme was immediately backed up by Hindutva groups. Subsequently, his Hindutva remarks seems to have been reined in by Narendra Modi.
- 1969-1977 - Organising Secretary, Bharatiya Jan Sangh, Mumbai
- 1977-78 - General Secretary, Janata Party, Mumbai
- 1978-1989 - Member, Legislative Assembly of Maharashtra (3 terms)
- 1979-1980 - President, Janata Party, Mumbai
- 1980-1986 - President, BJP, Mumbai
- 1986-1989 - Vice President, BJP, Maharashtra
- 1989 - Elected to 9th Lok Sabha
- 1991 - Elected to 10th Lok Sabha
- 1999 - Elected to 13th Lok Sabha
- 1999-2004 - Union Cabinet Minister, Petroleum and Natural Gas
- since 2004 - President, All India Disciplinary Committee of BJP
- 2014- Governor of Uttar Pradesh
- "Ram Naik to be sworn-in as UP Governor on July 22". Timesofindia Journal. Retrieved 19 July 2014.
- http://www.news18.com/news/uttar-pradesh/bjp-veteran-ram-naik-to-take-oath-as-up-governor-on-22nd-july-546803.html quote: "I was asked by my party to accept the position of the Governor of UP and I said yes."
- "New Governors of UP, Bengal, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat and Nagaland named". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- http://www.bjp.org/images/pdf_2013/25.9.2013%20English%20Press%20Note.pdf quote: "[I was] an R.S.S. activist since childhood"