Joseph Harold Ralph Mercier (13 February 1937 – 13 February 2020) was a Canadian municipal politician. He served as Mayor of Charlesbourg from 1984 to 2001, then held other positions in Quebec City from 2002 to 2009.
Joseph Harold Ralph Mercier
13 February 1937
|Died||13 February 2020 (aged 83)|
|Relatives||Éric Mercier (son)|
As Mayor of Charlesbourg, Mercier fought against municipal reorganization in Quebec City. In 2001, he was elected as a city councillor for Quebec City Council as a member of the party Action civique de Québec. He was opposition leader in the City Hall of Quebec City from 2002 to 2005. During this period, he invited residents of Quebec City to vote on referendums on demergers of the city's boroughs. However, Mercier never said whether he was for or against the mergers.
Mercier considered retirement in 2004, but ultimately decided to stand in the 2005 elections. He was reelected to the Charlesbourg-Centre district in November of that year. Mayor Andrée Boucher appointed Mercier to the executive council, the agglomeration council, the executive committee, and the board of directors.
Mercier had been active in the Union Des Municipalités Du Québec (UMQ), where he served as President from 1990 to 1993. He sat on the board of directors for the UMQ as a representative of the caucus des grandes villes.
Mercier died on 13 February 2020, on his 83rd birthday.
- Quebec, Canada, Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1621–1968
- "Le dernier maire de Charlesbourg, Ralph Mercier, est décédé". Le Journal de Québec (in French). 13 February 2020.
- "Ralph Mercier refuse de se déclarer ouvertement pour les défusions". Radio-Canada (in French). 7 May 2004.
- "Ralph Mercier demeure en politiqued". Radio-Canada (in French). 21 April 2005.
- "Ralph Mercier met fin à sa carrière politique municipale". Quebec Hebdo (in French). 16 June 2009.
- "Ralph Mercier". Union Des Municipalités Du Québec (in French).
- "L'ancien maire de Charlesbourg Ralph Mercier est décédé". Radio-Canada (in French). 13 February 2020.