Ralph & Russo
Ralph & Russo is a European, privately held company owned and founded by Tamara Ralph and Michael Russo. Ralph & Russo is a high fashion house that specializes in haute couture and ready-to-wear clothes, luxury goods, and fashion accessories.
|Founded||2006, London, United Kingdom|
|Founder||Tamara Ralph & Michael Russo|
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom,|
|Tamara Ralph, Creative Director |
Michael Russo, CEO
Number of employees
The company was put into administration in March 2020 and its founders are being investigated for the misappropriation of funds and raiding on employee super accounts.
History of Ralph & RussoEdit
The firm was founded in 2006 by duo Tamara Ralph and Michael Russo as a privately held company. The fashion house began in Mayfair, London, following in the city's rich history of couture fashion houses.
In 2014, it was announced that Ralph & Russo had become in the first British fashion house in over a century to be accredited by the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. It took them 8 years before nomination. They are still the only British fashion house to hold the accreditation.
Ralph & Russo opened its first store in London with a second in Paris on Rue Francois 1er shortly after. In 2015, the brand opened its first boutique in the London department store, Harrods. and has outlined plans to open further stores in America, Europe and Asia. Since then, the brand has expanded beyond Europe, opening two stores in the Middle East. The first in Doha, Qatar and the second in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. More recently, Ralph & Russo opened its third European store in Monaco.
On March 17, 2021 Ralph & Russo was placed into administration while it has been announced that the company will continue to operate throughout this time.
It was announced that from 2018 onwards, Ralph & Russo would be launching its ready-to-wear collection. It premiered the collection in the spring. Vogue described the collection as a "new iteration of luxury, made in London but cut for everyone who can afford it." The collection was made up of ready-to-wear gowns and evening dresses.
According to an article in Vogue later in 2018, the fall collection focused on "trench dresses and biker jackets with bouclé inserts and a big emphasis on removable arms." The collection included a garment which had previously been worn by Angelina Jolie.
In early 2018, it was announced that Meghan Markle would be wearing a Ralph & Russo gown for her official engagement photo shoot. The dress worn by Markle was originally part of a couture show, a black gown with a beaded bodice.
Ralph & Russo became the first British brand to be elected in almost 100 years by the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture to show its collection on the official schedule at Paris Haute Couture Week.
Paris Fashion WeekEdit
Inspired by South American summer, Ralph & Russo's pieces for Paris Fashion Week were vibrant colors of oranges and pinks. The aim of the pieces was to embody various designs for dressy lounging and beach-wear, and to take an elegant attempt on typical summer style. This was the first event to preview R&R's beach and swimwear, in collaboration with La Perla. The event had digital elements such as virtual reality components on the runway, and VR headsets to enhance the viewing experience, designed by PhotonLens.
- "Ralph & Russo", Drapers, Retrieved 10 December 2008.
- Mair, Avril. "Fantasy made real: Bazaar meets Tamara Ralph and Michael Russo". Harpers Bazaar.
- Long, Carola (6 April 2018). "A royal affair: will Ralph & Russo design the wedding dress of the year?". Financial Times.
- "Ralph & Russo to open Sloane Street Showroom", Diary Directory, Retrieved 3 August 2013.
- "Harrods Unveils Superbrands", Harrods, Retrieved 5 June 2015.
- "The Ralph & Russo Accessories and Footwear Collection Launches at Harrods", Style.com Arabia, Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- "Michael Russo Lays Out Ralph & Russo’s Big Brand Ambitions", WWD, Retrieved 19 January 2018.
- Asad Ullah, Muhammad (11 January 2019). "Ralph & Russo opens its biggest Boutique in the World". Gulf Times.
- Proctor, Rebecca. "British Couture in Dubai". Harpers Bazaar.
- Halliday, Sandra (26 June 2018). "Ralph & Russo opens Dubai boutique, plans NYC and Monte Carlo stores this year". Fashion Network.
- "Ready-to-Wear Ralph & Russo in Spring 2018". Vogue.
- "Fall 2018 Ready to Wear - Ralph & Russo". Vogue.
- Bailey, Alyssa (28 June 2019). "Angelina Jolie Goes Full Duchess in Ralph & Russo Dress at a Royal Event". Elle.
- "UK’s first Paris fashion coup for a century", The Sunday Times, Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- "#BOF500 2016: Tamara Ralph and Michael Russo", Business of Fashion, Retrieved 25 October 2016.
- Moore, Booth (2 October 2020). "Ralph & Russo RTW Spring 2021". WWD. Retrieved 11 November 2020.