Raj Comics is an Indian comic book publisher. It published a line of Indian comic books through Raja Pocket Books since its foundation in 1984 by Rajkumar Gupta. Some of its most well known characters include Nagraj, Super Commando Dhruva, Bhokal, Doga, Parmanu, Tiranga, Bankelal, Shakti, Inspector Steel, Ashwaraj ,Bheriya and Anthony. Raj Comics is credited as being one of the leading comic book distributors in India.
New logo of Raj Comics in English
|Parent company||Raja Pocket Books|
|Country of origin||India|
|Headquarters location||New Delhi, India|
|Key people||Rajkumar Gupta|
Tarun Kumar Wahi
|Publication types||Comics, books|
The company mainly publishes four types of comics; medieval fantasy, horror, mystery, and superhero comics, with a predominant focus on superhero content. Their comics are usually published in Hindi, with only a few titles and special editions in English. It has produced close to 35,000 comics to date and has been read by people in India and abroad. The company also publishes an online exclusive web series named Raj Rojana, with a new page uploaded every day.
Raj Comics publishes in multiple formats, which include e-book, print, and motion comics. The company also sells hardcovers of their old and new comics, as well as bundled collections of their characters.
|Raj Gupta |
(Founder & Chairman)
|Manoj Gupta |
- Vivek Mohan (Editor)
- Anupam Sinha (Creative Director)
- Tarun Kumar Wahi (Chief Writer)
- Jolly Sinha (Writer)
- Ajit Singh (Territory Manager)
In terms of the day-to-day operations of the company: Sanjay Gupta handles the creative aspect, Manish Gupta the digital and overall management of the company, and Manoj Gupta handles the logistics/business end.
The major characters in Raj Comics divided among their respective
Members of team Brahmand Rakshak (Protectors Of the Universe)Edit
- Super Commando Dhruva
- Inspector Steel
- Super Indian
- Pret Uncle
Members of team Research and Investigation Paranormalism [RIP]Edit
Characters based in ancient timesEdit
Kids Series characters (Defunct)Edit
Member of Vistrit Brahmand Rakshak (Protectors of the Extended Universe)Edit
- Ninjadev Kirigi
Members of W.A.R (World Alide Resquers)Edit
- Kali Vidhwa
- Inspector Cheetah
- Black Cat
- Madam X
- Adrishya Hatyara
- Doctor Vargis
Member of P.V.N (Paralaukik Vigyan Nayakgan)Edit
- Facelace (Bharti)
- Red Letter(Vikram)
Superheroes from Different WorldEdit
- Narak Nashak Nagraj
- Krodh Ketu Kobi
- Danadan Doga
It was the era of the rise of Indian superheroes. It was first founded in 1986 by Rajkumar Gupta. Raj comics introduced its first vigilante superhero Super Commando Dhruv, created by Anupam Sinha. Later they launched peoples favorite superheroes like Nagraj, Doga, Parmanu, Tiranaga, etc. More than 5.5 million copies of such superhero comics were sold. The company mainly publishes four types of comics: medieval fantasy, horror, mystery, and superhero comics, with a predominant focus on superhero content.
Raj Comics's roots span long back to the 1980s. After extreme dedication and perseverance by the brothers and their father, Raj Comics was propelled to great heights and fame. Nearly every teenager spent their afternoons glued to the latest comic addition.
The Golden AgeEdit
In 1997, television ad for Nagraj featuring Sonu Sood aired on TV for advertising. The whimsical nature of the television show garnered attention from popular youtuber CarryMinati  During this era, Raj Comics allegedly sold over a million copies a year making it one of the most widespread publications for that time period.
Raj Comics has now expanded to multiple different publication streams, with TriColor and other various business entities taking venerable steps in penetrating the Indian book market. Beyond which, ongoing discussions with studio heads have been disclosed to the public about live feature films and the like based on their comic universe however nothing has since come to fruition.
Raj Comics has released a short feature film named Aadamkhor, partially self-produced and crowdfunded. It released on YouTube to critical acclaim by its audience.
Raj Comics also diversified its portfolio by investing in the digital sector. Headed by Manish Gupta[CEO], an android application was released for the general public in 2015. It has since garnered a massive following and has an average rating of 4.5+ stars.
Raj Comics released a concept trailer for Nagraj on its official YouTube channel. It has since garnered over a million views.
King Comics was a line of comics published through Raja Pocket Books. While the division was initially successful, its popularity declined and the line went defunct after only about 2–5 years of activity. It was intended that many of King Comic's characters would be merged into Raj Comics, but only a few characters such as Gamraj were merged. During its run the division published six monthly comics.
Past and current seriesEdit
- Kaliyug (Shakti, Nagraj & Dhruva)
- Tune Mara doga ko (Doga)
- Thrill-Horror-Suspense Series
- Friendy Series
- Goldheart Series
- Kaal Series (Ashwaraj, Gojo, Bhokal, TilismDev, Parmanu, Ins. Steel, Super Indian)
- Nagayan Series (Nagraj-Super Commando Dhruv)
- AmarPrem Series (Kobi-Bheriya-Bhokal)
- Japan Series (Aatakharta harta Nagraj)
- City Without A Hero (Multistar)
- Khazana series (Nagraj)
- Trifana Series (Nagraj)
- Maharavan Series (Bhokal)
- Dracula Series (Multistar)
- Narak Nashak Nagraj origin Series (Narak Nashak Nagraj)
- Crow Series (Anthony)
- Born In Blood Series (Doga)
- Express Way Series (Doga)
- Aatankawadi nagraj series (Multistarrer)
- Chamatakari bhokal series (Bhokal)
- Mard aur murda series (Doga-antony)
- Mahanagayan series
- Parmatma series (Parmanu)
- Raktadaan series (Doga)
- Jalyash series (Bankelal)
- Tilismi olympic series (Bhokal)
- Raj 20 (Amazing friends of nagraj)
- Nagraj ke badd series (Nagraj)
- Swarna nagri (Nagraj-Super Commando Dhruv- fighter toads)
- Belmunda ka khajana series (Nagraj-Super Commando Dhruv- Fighter Toads)
- Genius series (Super commando dhurva)
- Aadamkhoro ka swaraga series (Super commando dhurva)
- Axe series (Super commando dhurva)
- Aakhri dhurva series (Super commando dhurva)
- Pagal nagraj series (Nagraj)
- Made in India series (Ins.Steel)
- Wafa series (Doga)
- Doga diries series (Doga)
- Doga collection series (Doga)
- Mritiyjivi series (Narak nashak nagraj)
- Makbara series (Narak nashak nagraj-gagan-Vinashdoot-tahira- Monty)
- Kar Bura ho Bhala series (Bankelal)
- Aag series (Tiranga)
- Tandoor series (Doga)
- Bankelal lok se lok series (bankelal)
- Bankelal nagar se nagar series (Bankelal)
- Nagina series (Nagraj)
- Nahi bachega nagraj series (Nagraj)
- Rajnagar rakshak series (Super commando dhurva- Ins. Steel)
- Curfew series (Doga)
- Aarambha series (Yoddha)
- Hedron series (Nagraj-Super Commando Dhurva)
- Champion killer series (Super commando dhurva)
- Guru bhokal series (Bhokal)
- Game over series (Super commando dhurva)
- Andhi maut series (Super commando dhurva)
- Aagraj series (Nagraj)
- Doga Hindu Hai Series (Doga)
- Khoon series (Doga-Super Indian)
- Palra series (Multistarrer)
- Mai hu bheriya series (Bheriya- Nagraj-Super Commando Dhruv - Doga- Parmanu)
- Ins.chetta series (Doga)
- Nikal pada doga series (Doga)
- Nagraj hai na series (Nagraj)
- Lavva series (Nagraj)
- Hatyara kaun series (Super commando dhurva)
- Candakaal series (Super commando dhurva)
- Khoni khandan series (Super commando dhurva)
- Aab marega parmanu series (Parmanu)
- Lakshya purusha series (Doga)
- Ek katora au Do Ktora Khoon series (Thrill-Horror-Suspense)
- Chamatakari bhokal series (Bhokal)
- Jalyash series (Bankelal)
- Germany series (Aatakharta nagraj)
- Italy series (Aatakharta nagraj)
- Raktabeej series (Multistarrer)
- Doga unmulan series (Doga)
- Rajnagar Rakshak (Super Commando Dhruva, Inspector Steel)
- Akhiri-Last Survivors(Multistarrer)
- Balcharit (Origin Series of Super Commando Dhruva)
- Sarvanayak (Nearly all major RC characters)
- Sarvanayak Vistar ( Multistarrer)
- Kshatipoorti ( Aatankharta Nagraj)
- Shaktirupa (SCD)
- Prem Granth (Super Commando Dhruva)
- Naag Granth (Narak Nashak Nagraj and Krodh Ketu Kobi)
- Sins of the father (Anthony-Multistarrer)
- Punarotthaan (Multistarrer)
- Mahanagayan (Multistarrer)
- Shuddhikaran ( Kobi - Bhediya)
- Adharmeshwar (Multistarrer)
- Agdam-Bagdam (Bankeylal, Nagraj, Dhruv)
- Fighter Force (Fighter Toads)
Jubilee and Kalpana-lok awardsEdit
In 2010 Raj Comics celebrated its Silver Jubilee by launching the Kalpana-lok Awards. Participants are nominated by editors at Raj Comics and can be voted on by readers and fans on the Raj Comics website.
Raj Comics filmsEdit
In 2014, Anurag Kashyap had spoken about making a film on Doga—a vigilante killing machine in the style of Marvel Comics’ The Punisher—but the project was shelved after his Bombay Velvet flopped. Manish Gupta[CEO] has had multiple ultimately unsuccessful meetings with prominent Bollywood industry personnel. Raj Comics co-founder and studio head Sanjay Gupta says "Bollywood is yet to warm up to the idea of licensing comic book characters that come with detailed universes and visuals ready for the screen. We want to start with animated Web series first. We are expecting to make our first live-action film the year after.” In December 2017, Raj Comics organized special screening of their horror film Aadamkhor at Nagraj Janmotsav event, Delhi. Aadamkhor is based on comic of the same name published by Raj Comics in 1992. Raj comics has released Aadamkhor on YouTube on 24 May 2018.
Raj Comics are available in digital form through their android app. The Raj Comics official android app has reached over 100k+ downloads at the time of this article. Free Services: In 2017, Raj Comics started free comics from their android app.
In 1996, delivered by the Delhi High Court under docket Raja Pocket Books (Plaintiff) v. Radha Pocket Books, Raj Comics won this intellectual property case with a ruling of "prima facie infringement of the plaintiff’s character."
- Raj Comics: About Us Archived 2013-01-15 at the Wayback Machine
- "Raj Comics for the Hard Headed : s a r a i". sarai.net. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "Why Nagraj, Dhruva, Doga aren't finding space on big screen? (view pics)". India TV News. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "Raj Comics now in regional flavor". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- Lent, John A. (2001-01-01). Illustrating Asia: Comics, Humor Magazines, and Picture Books. University of Hawaii Press. pp. 58–59. ISBN 9780824824716.
- "Best moments of Raj Comics Superheroes". eashportsbook.com. 1 November 2018.
- "After a hiatus, Indian comic book industry growing steadily". DNA India. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "Raj Comics to launch motion-comics". Bollywood.com News. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- Pratap, Rashmi. "Super-heroic ventures". The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- Pratap, Rashmi (2014-04-25). "Super-heroic ventures". The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 2017-05-17.
- "Blast From The Past: Watch Sonu Sood Play 'Nagraj' in This Raj Comics Ad". News18. 2016-05-17. Retrieved 2017-05-17.
- Ghosh, Sankhayan (2016-09-02). "In search of the Indian superhero". livemint.com/. Retrieved 2017-05-17.
- "Why Nagraj, Dhruva, Doga aren't finding space on big screen? (view pics)". Retrieved 2017-05-17.
- "Raj Comics (Hindi हिंदी) - Android Apps on Google Play". play.google.com. Retrieved 2017-05-17.
- Kumar, Amitabh (2008). Raj Comics for the Hard Headed. Sarai.