Swami Vivekananda Airport (IATA: RPR, ICAO: VERP), formerly known as Mana Airport, is a domestic airport serving the state of Chhattisgarh, India. The airport is located at Mana, approximately 15 km (9.3 mi) south-east of Raipur and 10 km (6.2 mi) east of Naya Raipur, situated conveniently between the two cities. On 24 January 2012, the airport was renamed after Swami Vivekananda, the iconic Hindu monk and philosopher who spent three years of his youth in Raipur between 1877 and 1879.
Swami Vivekananda Airport
|Owner||Airports Authority of India|
|Operator||Airports Authority of India|
|Serves||Raipur, Naya Raipur, Bhilai and Durg|
|Location||Mana, Raipur, Chhattisgarh, India|
|Elevation AMSL||317 m / 1,041 ft|
|Statistics (April 2022 - March 2023)|
In the period between April 2022 and March 2023, it was the busiest airport in Chhattisgarh, and the second busiest in Central India after Indore airport and the 26th busiest airport in India ( 2) by passenger traffic.
Spread over an area of 700 acres (280 ha), Swami Vivekananda Airport has a single runway (06/24) measuring 2,286 m (7,500 ft) in length and 45 m (148 ft) in width. The runway has been extended to 3,251 m (10,666 ft) but has not been operationalised yet due to delays in transferring land for the construction of perimeter boundary wall alongside patrolling road inside the airport area.
The apron has seven parking bays which can accommodate A320/B737 category of aircraft. The airport is equipped with category VI firefighting and rescue capability with provisions for category VII on demand.
New integrated terminal edit
The new integrated terminal was inaugurated on 7 November 2012 by then President of India Pranab Mukherjee. Built at a cost of about ₹165 crore (US$21 million), the building covers an area of 22,000 m2 (5.4 acres). It is designed to handle 1300 passengers at a time, including 400 international passengers.
The new terminal has three aero-bridges, eight boarding gates, twenty check-in counters, eight X-ray baggage machines, four security counters, and two conveyor belts for luggage. Construction for fourth aero-bridge is under-consideration.
Cargo terminal edit
The Common User Domestic Cargo Terminal (CUDCT) was inaugurated on 4 June 2016, fulfilling the long pending demand of the state to start air cargo operations. The AAI has converted the old terminal building into CUDCT to handle cargo operations. Ahmedabad based GSEC Limited has bagged the contract to operate and maintain the CUDCT for an initial period of five years.
Airlines and destinations edit
|Alliance Air||Jagdalpur, Hyderabad|
|IndiGo||Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Bhubaneswar, Bhopal, Chennai, Coimbatore, Delhi, Goa–Dabolim, Hyderabad, Indore, Jagdalpur, Kochi, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, Pune|
In 2023, the Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh Bhupesh Baghel laid the foundation stone of Aerocity near Raipur Airport in 25 acre of land in Ramchandi area of Naya Raipur, it will have High-end hotels, Convention center, Shopping complexes and upscale restaurants along with entertainment facilities.
The airport is located 16 kilometres (9.9 mi) from Raipur Junction railway station and 17 kilometres (11 mi) from Bhatgaon ISBT Raipur. It is well connected by Raipur and Naya Raipur BRTS and cabs such as Ola and Uber. In addition, the Raipur Urban Public Transport Society operates direct air-conditioned city buses to the neighbouring cities of Bhilai and Durg, via Raipur.
Swami Vivekananda's statue at the airport's entrance
Airside view from Terminal
Aircraft at Apron
Terminal inside view
See also edit
- "Swami Vivekananda Airport, Raipur -Brochure" (PDF). AAI. Retrieved 19 March 2021.
- "Annexure III – Passenger Data" (PDF). aai.aero. Retrieved 23 April 2023.
- "Annexure II – Aircraft Movement Data" (PDF). aai.aero. Retrieved 23 April 2023.
- "Annexure IV – Freight Movement Data" (PDF). aai.aero. Retrieved 23 April 2023.
- "Airport codes Raipur in Raipur, India (IN)". airportsbase.org. Retrieved 17 March 2020.
- "Raipur - India". World Airport Codes. Retrieved 17 March 2020.
- "Live Flight Tracker - Real-Time Flight Tracker Map". Flightradar24. Retrieved 17 March 2020.
- "Airports Authority of India". www.aai.aero. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- "Renaming of Mana Airport at Raipur in Chhattisgarh as "Swami Vivekanand International Airport, Raipur"". pib.nic.in. Archived from the original on 12 August 2017. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- "AAI awards work for extension of Raipur Airport runway". The Pioneer. 14 January 2018. Retrieved 26 March 2021.
- @aairprairport (25 June 2023). "Existing CAT-I ILS at Raipur Airport is now being upgraded to CAT-II ILS that will further allow the aircraft to land in extremely poor weather" (Tweet). Retrieved 6 August 2023 – via Twitter.
- @aairprairport (10 November 2022). "State-of-the-art ADS-B facility is yet another feather in the cap of the Swami Vivekananda Airport, Raipur which is now operationalised to cater the increasing Air-traffic demand" (Tweet). Retrieved 6 August 2023 – via Twitter.
- "Airports Authority of India, Technical Information". www.aai.aero. Archived from the original on 16 February 2009. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- Bagchi, Suvojit (8 November 2012). "Pranab hopes Raipur airport's new terminal will support Chhattisgarh's growth". The Hindu. Retrieved 29 April 2017.
- "Airports Authority of India, Passenger Information". www.aai.aero. Archived from the original on 16 February 2009. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- "Cargo terminal inaugurated at Raipur airport". The Times of India. 4 June 2016. Retrieved 26 March 2021.
- "IndiGo to resume Lucknow-Raipur-Bhubaneswar service from Jun-2023". CAPA. Retrieved 22 May 2023.
- "Daily flight between Raipur-Goa to startfrom January 7".
- "Flight Schedule". IndiGo. Retrieved 28 March 2023.
- "Chhattisgarh to build Aerocity near Raipur Airport: CMO". Economic Times. ANI. 21 November 2022. Retrieved 9 September 2023.
- "Develop aerocity in Raipur along the lines of Delhi airport: CM". The Times of India. 21 November 2022. Retrieved 9 September 2023.
- "Chhattisgarh to build Aerocity near Raipur Airport: CMO". ThePrint. ANI. 20 November 2022. Retrieved 9 September 2023.
- Rawal, Khushbu (13 September 2023). "नवा रायपुर में बनेगा 'कमर्शियल हब', CM बघेल ने एरोसिटी और 'शहीद स्मारक' का किया भूमिपूजन". India TV Hindi (in Hindi). Retrieved 13 September 2023.
- "एयरपोर्ट से दुर्ग के लिए आठ एसी सिटी बसों को मिला परमिट". Nai Dunia (in Hindi). 8 January 2016. Retrieved 1 July 2017.