Rainbow S.p.A. (formerly known as Rainbow S.r.l.) is an Italian studio co-owned by Iginio Straffi and ViacomCBS. It has collaborated with ViacomCBS' other company, Nickelodeon, on multiple shows, including Winx Club and Club 57. The studio is based in Loreto, Marche, and was founded by Straffi in 1995. Rainbow began as an animation studio, providing creative services for larger companies until it secured enough funds for original productions.
|Products||Television series, live-action and animated films|
|Owner||ViacomCBS Networks EMEAA (30%)|
Iginio Straffi (70%)
Moviement Talent Agency
In February 2011, Viacom International Media Networks purchased 30% of the company for 62 million euros (US$83 million), leaving the remaining 70% to Iginio Straffi. Viacom's Nickelodeon networks broadcast Rainbow's shows worldwide, and Rainbow acts as the licensing agent for Nickelodeon's shows in Italy. Nickelodeon's American studios have also collaborated with Rainbow on multiple productions, including Winx Club from 2011 to 2015 and Club 57 in 2019.
In 2018, Straffi and Viacom listed the company on the Italian stock exchange. The listing followed years of consideration regarding which country's stock market to enter (the United States or Italy). According to Straffi, this presented "a real dilemma" as Viacom was already listed on an American stock exchange, but Rainbow performed best in European countries. Straffi and Viacom withdrew Rainbow from the stock market in May 2018, citing a lack of suitable market conditions.
|Tommy and Oscar||2000–2002||Rai Fiction|
|Winx Club||2004–present||Rai Fiction (seasons 1-7)|
Nickelodeon (seasons 5-7)
Rai Ragazzi (season 8)
|Monster Allergy||2005–2009||Rai Fiction|
|Huntik: Secrets & Seekers||2009–2012||Rai Fiction|
|Mia and Me||2012–2015||M4E|
|Crazy Block (pilot)||2014||Nickelodeon|
|Regal Academy||2016–2018||Rai Fiction|
|Maggie & Bianca: Fashion Friends||2016–2017||Rai Fiction|
Nickelodeon (pilot only)
|World of Winx||2016–2017||Rai Fiction|
|44 Cats||2018–present||Rai Ragazzi|
Institute of Antoniano
|Club 57||2019–present||Rai Ragazzi|
|Fate: The Winx Saga||2021–present||Archery Pictures|
Young Blood Productions
|Pinocchio & Friends||in production|
|Summer & Todd: Happy Farmers||in production|
|Tommy and Oscar: The Movie||2007||Rai Fiction||Miramax|
|Winx Club: The Secret of the Lost Kingdom||2007||01 Distribution
|Winx Club 3D: Magical Adventure||2010||Medusa Film
|Gladiators of Rome||2012||Medusa Film
|Winx Club: The Mystery of the Abyss||2014||01 Distribution
|Classe Z||2017||Medusa Film||Colorado Film|
|Tiro libero||2017||Medusa Film||Colorado Film|
|The Girl in the Fog||2017||Medusa Film||Colorado Film|
|My Big Gay Italian Wedding||2018||Medusa Film||Colorado Film|
|No Kids||2018||Medusa Film||Colorado Film|
|When Mom Is Away||2018||Medusa Film||Colorado Film|
|The Nest||2019||Medusa Film||Colorado Film|
|Into the Labyrinth||2019||Medusa Film||Colorado Film|
|Me contro Te - Il film: La vendetta del Signor S||2020||Warner Bros.||Colorado Film|
|Cambio tutto!||2020||Medusa Film
Amazon Prime Video
|10 giorni con Babbo Natale||2020||Medusa Film
Amazon Prime Video
- Vivarelli, Nick (February 26, 2011). "Winx creator in the pink". Variety. Retrieved August 9, 2015.
- Ramos-Weiner, Maribel (20 November 2018). "Iginio Straffi de Rainbow: Tuvimos una influencia muy importante en la historia de Club 57 para garantizar su atractivo en Europa". Produ.com (in Spanish).
- "Straffi's Rainbow: Europe's Largest Animation House Has Growing Pains" (PDF). VideoAge International. October 2014.
In 2011, 16 years after Straffi founded Rainbow, Viacom gained 30 percent ownership of the animation division... for 62 million euro ($83 million), thus valuing the company at $277 million.
- Serafini, Domenico (November 5, 2014). "I dolori di Rainbow per arrivare prima in Europa". Millecanali. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- Minardi, Sabina (24 February 2011). "Winx, le fatine fanno il botto". L'espresso (in Italian).
- Rusak, Gary (April 2011). "Rainbow to rep Nick, lands new master toy deal" (PDF). Kidscreen.
- "Rainbow buys Canadian animation studio Bardel". Kidscreen. 5 October 2015.
- Andrea, Montanari (21 August 2017). "Rainbow-Viacom compra la Colorado" (PDF). MF Milano Finanza.
- "Winx take to the stock exchange". Agenzia Nazionale Stampa Associata. 12 April 2018.
Rome: The shares will be put on sale by Straffi and Viacom Holdings Italia.
- "Rainbow ripensa alla Borsa". Bebeez.it (in Italian). 3 November 2015.
- "The Winx Withdraw from the Stock Market". 22 May 2018.
The Rainbow studio based in Loreto, Marche, 30% of which belongs to Viacom, decided to go public... However, investors have not responded with the awaited enthusiasm
- "Nickelodeon Announces JAKKS Pacific as Master Toy Licensee for Innovative Girls Brand: Winx Club".
Winx Club is a co-production with Rainbow S.p.A. and Nickelodeon.
- "Crazy Block - Nick Animated Shorts". December 8, 2018.
- Magliaro, Alessandra (19 July 2015). "Rainbow, oltre Winx, 1/a serie con attori". Agenzia Nazionale Stampa Associata (in Italian). Archived from the original on 20 July 2015.
- "Riprese della serie tv americana per ragazzi "Club 57" a Monopoli" (in Italian). 23 September 2018.