Rafael Moneo (2011)
José Rafael Moneo Vallés
9 May 1937
|Awards||Rolf Schock Prizes in Visual Arts (1993)|
Pritzker Architecture Prize (1996)
Thomas Jefferson Medal in Architecture (2012)
Life and careerEdit
Born in Tudela, Spain, Moneo studied at the ETSAM, Technical University of Madrid (UPM) from which he received his architectural degree in 1961. From the Davis Art Museum at Wellesley College in Massachusetts and the Audrey Jones Beck Building (an expansion of the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston). Moneo also designed the Chace Center, a new building for the Rhode Island School of Design. In December 2010, the Northwest Corner Building (formerly the Interdepartmental Science Building) at Columbia University in New York City first opened. Moneo's most recent work is Peretsman-Scully Hall and the Princeton Neuroscience Institute, which houses the psychology and neuroscience departments at Princeton University and opened in December 2013.
In 2012, he was awarded with 2012 Prince of Asturias Award for the Arts. According to the jury, Moneo is "a Spanish architect of universal scope whose work enriches urban spaces with an architecture that is serene and meticulous. An acknowledged master in both the academic and professional field, Moneo leaves his own mark on each of his creations, at the same time as combining aesthetics with functionality, especially in the airy interiors that act as impeccable settings for great works of culture and the spirit."
- Davis Art Museum, Wellesley, Massachusetts (1993)
- Moderna Museet and Swedish Centre for Architecture and Design, Stockholm, Sweden (1997)
- Kursaal Congress Centre and Auditorium, San Sebastián, Basque Country, Spain (1999)
- Audrey Jones Beck Building, Houston, Texas (2000)
- Library of Sciences, Heverlee, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium (2000)
- Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels, Los Angeles, California (2002)
- Valladolid Science Museum, Valladolid, Spain (2003)
- Museo del Prado expansion, Madrid, Spain (2007)
- New Library of the University of Deusto, Bilbao, Basque Country, Spain (2009)
- Northwest Corner Building, New York City, New York (2010)
- Princeton Neuroscience Institute, Princeton, New Jersey (2013)
- Museum University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain (2015)
- Campus Initiatives: The Chace Center Archived 2006-05-25 at the Wayback Machine
- Minutes of the Jury for the 2012 Prince of Asturias Award for the Arts. .
- Zabalbeascoa, Anatxu (8 April 2016). "El Nacional de Arquitectura premia el rigor de Moneo" [The National Architecture Award for the Rigor of Moneo]. El País (in Spanish). Madrid. Retrieved 10 May 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rafael Moneo.|
- Architectural renderings of the Chace Center (early stages of design)
- Children's Hospital of Madrid
- Harvard University Laboratory for Integrated Science and Engineering
- The Moneo Gallery: Works of José Rafael Moneo Vallés
- "Prado museum unveils spacious new extension" (2 April 2007)
- Pritzker Architecture Prize Laureate
- Short biography at www.greatbuildings.com