Raebareli district(Redirected from Rae Bareli District)
|District of Uttar Pradesh|
Location of Raebareli district in Uttar Pradesh
|• Lok Sabha constituencies||Raebareli|
|• Total||4,609 km2 (1,780 sq mi)|
|• Density||740/km2 (1,900/sq mi)|
|• Sex ratio||941|
|Major highways||NH30, NH31, NH330A, NH231|
Raebareli has always been a politically active district of Uttar Pradesh finding itself at the center of The Emergency. Raj Narain who opposed policies and practices of Indira Gandhi, contested against the Prime Minister in 1971 Lok Sabha elections from Rai Bareli, as a Janta Party candidate. Although he suffered a defeat, but he accused Indira Gandhi of corrupt electoral practices and filed an election petition against her. The Allahabad High Court on 12 June 1975 upheld the accusations and set aside the election of Indira Gandhi and also disqualified her to contest Lok Sabha election for next 6 years, which led to the imposition of Emergency in India. Many freedom fighters who fought against the British hail from Raebareli.A place Mushiganj situated at the bank of Sai river is also known as UP's Jallianwala Bagh.
The district had an area of 4,609 km2. The principal rivers of the district are the Ganges and the Sai: the former skirts it for 54 miles near Dalmau and is everywhere navigable for boats of 40 tons; the latter traverses it from N.W. to S.E. The principal crops are rice, pulse, wheat, barley, millet, and poppy. Rae Bareli town is connected with Lucknow by a branch of the Oudh & Rohilkhand railway, which in 1898 was extended to Benares.
In 2006 the Ministry of Panchayati Raj named Raebareli one of the country's 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the 34 districts in Uttar Pradesh currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
Raebareli has also been nominated by the state government for receiving aid through central government's Smart Cities in India Programme.
In 1901 the population was 1,033,760. According to the 2011 census Raebareli district has a population of 3,404,004, roughly equal to the nation of Panama or the US state of Connecticut. This gives it a ranking of 97th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 739 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,910/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 18.51%. Rae Bareli has a sex ratio of 941 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 69.04%.
- Ministry of Panchayati Raj (8 September 2009). "A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme" (PDF). National Institute of Rural Development. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- Desaster: Explosion at Indian Coal Power Plant Kills 29, Injures 85". Bloomberg.com. 2 November 2017
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
Panama 3,460,462 July 2011 est.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- M. Paul Lewis, ed. (2009). "Awadhi: A language of India". Ethnologue: Languages of the World (16th ed.). Dallas, Texas: SIL International. Retrieved 2011-09-28.