Radio and Television of Bosnia and Herzegovina
BHRT (Bosnian-Herzegovinian Radio Television; Serbo-Croatian: Bosanskohercegovačka radiotelevizija (BHRT) / Босанскохерцеговачка радиотелевизија (БХРТ)), formerly known as PBSBiH (Public Broadcasting Service of Bosnia and Herzegovina; Serbo-Croatian: Javni radiotelevizijski servis Bosne i Hercegovine / Јавни радиотелевизијски сервис Босне и Херцеговине), is an umbrella broadcasting organization and the only member of the European Broadcasting Union from Bosnia and Herzegovina.
|Type||Broadcast radio, television and online|
First air date
|10 April 1945 (radio)|
1 June 1961 (television)
|Founded||10 April 1945|
|Slogan||"Dobar vjetar u leđa"|
(Good wind at your back)
|Bosnia and HerzegovinaWorldwide via IPTV platforms|
|Belmin Karamehmedović(General-Director)Marijo Pejić(head of BHT 1)Milan Trivić(head of BH Radio 1)Admir Đulančić (head of MP BHRT)|
|10 April 1945|
|RTV Sarajevo (1961–1992)RTV BiH (1992–1996)BHT (1996–2000)PBS BiH (2000–2004)|
|BH radio 1|
|tvBiH, BHT, PBSBiH|
|Affiliation||European Broadcasting Union|
|Affiliates||Radio-Television of the Federation of Bosnia and HerzegovinaRadio Televizija Republike Srpske|
|Yugoslav Radio Television|
It was known as RTVBiH (Radio Television of Bosnia and Herzegovina; Serbo-Croatian language: Radiotelevizija Bosne i Hercegovine (RTVBiH) / Радиотелевизија Босне и Херцеговине (РТБиХ)) from 1992 until 1998, when it was restructured into the current service. On 1 January 1993, RTVBiH was admitted as an active member of the European Broadcasting Union. The membership was transferred to the new parental broadcasting organisation PBSBiH in 2000.
RTVBiH (and consequently BHRT) grew out of RTV Sarajevo in 1992, one of eight principal broadcasting centers of former Yugoslavia, others being RTV Ljubljana, RTV Zagreb, RTV Belgrade, RTV Novi Sad, RTV Titograd, RTV Pristina, and RTV Skopje.
BHRT currently consists of three organizational units:
- BHT 1 – National public television channel (Bosanskohercegovačka televizija), also available in HD on cable and satellite
- BH Radio 1 – National public radio service (BH radio 1)
- MP BHRT – Music Production of BHRT (Muzička Produkcija BHRT)
There is a public corporation in the establishment which should be consisted of all public broadcasters in Bosnia and Herzegovina:
- BHRT as the state level radio-television broadcaster.
- RTVFBiH (Radiotelevizija Federacije Bosne i Hercegovine) which operates on own channels and frequencies in the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina entity and broadcasting mainly in Bosnian and Croatian standard varieties of Serbo-Croatian language.
- RTRS (Radiotelevizija Republike Srpske) which operates on own channels and frequencies in the Republika Srpska entity, broadcasting mainly in Serbian standard variety of Serbo-Croatian language.
In June 2016, BHRT announced it will be suspending broadcasting at the end of June, as a consequance of insufficient funding. The European Broadcasting Union (EBU) expressed strong concern as this would have been the first time a public service broadcaster in Europe would have to interrupt its broadcasting because of financial difficulties.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-08-24. Retrieved 2013-01-13.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "SAOPŠTENJE UPRAVNOG ODBORA". BHRT. 30 June 2016. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- "EBU alarmed at threat to Public Service Broadcasting in Bosnia Herzegovina". EBU. 1 June 2016. Retrieved 11 November 2016.