Rachna Banerjee (born Jhumjhum Banerjee; 2 October 1974) also known as Rachana, is an Indian actress, entrepreneur and television presenter. She is known for her works in Bengali and Odia film industries and has also appeared in several Telugu, Tamil, and Kannada films. Being crowned the 1994 Miss Kolkata, she has also won five beauty contests in India including Miss Beautiful Smile at the Miss India contest.
2 October 1974
|Occupation(s)||Actress, television presenter|
|Years active||1993 – Present|
Early life Edit
Banerjee was born in Kolkata, West Bengal, India, and was her parents' only child. Her father was Upamanyu Banerjee. Her original name was Jhumjhum Banerjee, and was changed to Rachana by Sukhen Das, the director of her debut film Daan Pratidaan (1993).
Banerjee won the Miss Kolkata contest in 1994 when she was still in her second year of graduation course from South City College. She entered several beauty pageants before starting her acting career and was often declared 'Miss Beautiful Smile'. In 1994 she missed out of the Miss India contest grand finale where Madhu Sapre was crowned the title. Banerjee's breakthrough role was with director Sukhen Das who changed her name to Rachana (which Das found in 'Rabindra Rachanabali'). Her biggest success in film career comes when she played the female lead opposite Siddhant Mahapatra in about 40 movies. She appeared alongside Amitabh Bachchan in the film Sooryavansham, one of the cult movies of its era. She has appeared in 35 Bengali films with her favourite actor Prosenjit Chatterjee.
Hosting Didi No. 1 Edit
Apart from acting, Banerjee is also hosting the popular Bengali non-fiction TV show, Didi No. 1, which is aired on Zee Bangla on weekdays. On 5 April 2013 a fire broke out in the studio of Didi No. 1 at Tollygunge, and she fainted following a panic attack and was rushed to a city hospital (Aurobindo Seva Sadan) immediately.
Personal life Edit
List of reality shows Edit
|2010||Dance Bangla Dance - Junior||7||Judge|
|2011||Didi No. 1||2||Anchor|
|2016||No 1 Didi Na Dada||1|
|2012||Tumi Je Amar||1|
|2018||Dance Bangla Dance - Junior, Season 10||Judge|
- Kalakar Awards, Bharat Nirman Award, Odia State Film Award, Special Film Award by West Bengal State Govt, Tele Samman Award, ETV Bangla Film Award, Zee Bangla Sonar Songsar Award 2015 for Didi No. 1 & Tumi Je Amar
- Odisha State Film Award (Special Jury) – Suna Harini (1999)
- Odisha State Film Award for Best Actress – Mo Kola To Jhulana (2001)
- "Who Is Rachna Banerjee? Why Was The Didi No 1 Host Trolled For Selling Sarees Online?". Retrieved 13 December 2021.
- "রচনা-সিদ্ধান্তকে ভোলেনি মানুষ, তবে হিট জুটির রিল ও রিয়্যাল দু'জীবনেই আজ শুধুই দূরত্ব". Archived from the original on 3 June 2021. Retrieved 28 March 2021.
- "Who Is Rachna Banerjee? Why Was The Didi No 1 Host Trolled For Selling Sarees Online?". Retrieved 25 December 2021.
- "আমার জীবনে কোনো পুরুষের প্রয়োজন নেই : রচনা". Dainik Eidin - দৈনিক এইদিন. 13 December 2021. Retrieved 13 December 2021.
- Sandeep Mishra (11 April 2009). "Sidhant runs into' Rachana". The Times of India. Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- "Actress Rachna Banerjee's real name is known as Jhumjhum" (in Bengali). Retrieved 13 November 2022.
- "Three injured in fire at reality show set". The Times of India. Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- "Actress Rachana Banerjee Separated From Her Husband?". Update Odisha. 19 September 2016. Retrieved 25 August 2019.
- "Kalakar award winners" (PDF). Kalakar website. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 April 2012. Retrieved 16 October 2012.