Raúl de Tomás
De Tomás with Rayo Vallecano in 2019
|Full name||Raúl de Tomás Gómez|
|Date of birth||17 October 1994|
|Place of birth||Madrid, Spain|
|Height||1.81 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|2012–2013||Real Madrid C||16||(8)|
|2013–2015||Real Madrid B||62||(14)|
|2015–2016||→ Córdoba (loan)||26||(6)|
|2016–2017||→ Valladolid (loan)||36||(14)|
|2017–2019||→ Rayo Vallecano (loan)||65||(38)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 17:42, 19 January 2020 (UTC)|
Born in Madrid to a Dominican mother, De Tomás joined Real Madrid's youth academy in 2004 after starting out at CD San Roque EFF. He played his first senior match on 8 April 2012, featuring the last 21 minutes for the C-team in a 2–0 home win against CF Pozuelo de Alarcón for the Tercera División championship.
De Tomás was promoted to the third team in the middle of 2012, with the side now in Segunda División B. On 17 August 2012 he appeared in his first game for the reserves, coming on as a late substitute for Juanfran in a 1–2 away loss to Villarreal CF for the Segunda División championship.
On 16 December, back with the C-side, De Tomás scored a hat-trick in a 5–2 home routing of CD Marino. He continued to represent both affiliates during the season, and was definitely promoted to Castilla in September 2013.
De Tomás scored his first professional goal on 4 December 2013, netting the first in a 3–2 home victory over Girona FC. He contributed with a further six in 27 appearances over the campaign, as the B-team suffered relegation.
In July 2014, De Tomás was included in the main squad for its pre-season trip to the United States. He made his competitive debut for them on 29 October of the same year, replacing Karim Benzema in a 4–1 success at UE Cornellà for the Copa del Rey.
On 1 September 2017, De Tomás was loaned to Rayo Vallecano. He was the second-highest scorer of the season with 24 goals, including hat-tricks in victories over Lorca FC, Cultural y Deportiva Leonesa and CF Reus Deportiu, as the club from Vallecas won the league and were promoted back to the top flight; this haul was a season record for any player in its history, and he was also named Segunda División Player of the Month in February and April 2018.
De Tomás scored his first goal in the Spanish top tier on 22 September 2018, but in a 1–5 home defeat against Deportivo Alavés. The following 11 January, also at the Campo de Fútbol de Vallecas, his hat-trick helped the hosts down RC Celta de Vigo 4–2.
On 3 July 2019, De Tomás signed a five-year contract with Portuguese champions S.L. Benfica on a €20 million transfer fee. He debuted for the club as a starter in 5–0 thrashing of crosstown rivals Sporting CP at the Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira on 4 August. He scored his first goal for Benfica in a 3‒1 away loss to Zenit Saint Petersburg in the UEFA Champions League group stage on 2 October, as a substitute; UEFA ordered his shirt to say his legal surname for that match, while he habitually wore his initials instead.
De Tomás' father, also named Raúl (born 1967), was also a footballer and a forward. He spent most of his career in the Spanish third division. De Tomás' younger brother, Rubén, came through the youth ranks of Rayo Vallecano.
- As of 25 January 2020
|Real Madrid C||2011–12||1||0||—||1||0|
|Real Madrid B||2012–13||7||0||—||7||0|
|Rayo Vallecano (loan)||2017–18||32||24||0||0||—||32||24|
- "de, Tomas Raul". S.L. Benfica. Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- Pérez Neró, Nathanael (28 July 2014). "Dominicano debuta con el Real Madrid" [Dominican makes debut with Real Madrid]. Diario Libre (in Spanish). Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- Acedo, Diego (17 August 2012). "Cavenaghi toma los mandos del 'Submarino'" [Cavenaghi takes charge of the 'Submarine']. Marca (in Spanish). Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- Díaz, Miguel Ángel (16 December 2012). "Raúl De Tomás aniquiló al Marino" [Raúl De Tomás annihilated Marino]. Defensa Central (in Spanish). Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- Giraldo, Emilio (3 September 2013). "El Castilla se queda sin Henrique" [Castilla lose Henrique]. Marca (in Spanish). Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- Jiménez, Rubén (4 December 2013). "El Castilla ahuyenta fantasmas" [Castilla chase ghosts away]. Marca (in Spanish). Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- Domínguez, Leticia (22 May 2014). "Lucas Vázquez, el pichichi del Castilla" [Lucas Vázquez, Castilla's pichichi]. Bernabéu Digital (in Spanish). Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "Los 20 jugadores que inician el viaje a Estados Unidos" [The 20 players who start the trip to the United States]. Real Madrid CF (in Spanish). 21 July 2014. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- Melero, Delfín (29 October 2014). "Un ejercicio de profesionalidad" [An exercise in professionalism]. Marca (in Spanish). Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "Raúl de Tomás made his official debut with Real Madrid". Real Madrid CF. 29 October 2014. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "El Córdoba logra la cesión del delantero Raúl de Tomás (Real Madrid Castilla)" [Córdoba get loan of forward Raúl de Tomás (Real Madrid Castilla)]. Mundo Deportivo (in Spanish). 1 September 2015. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "Raúl de Tomás cierra el mercado" [Raúl de Tomás closes the market]. Real Valladolid (in Spanish). 31 August 2016. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "Raúl de Tomás nuevo jugador del Rayo Vallecano 2017–18" [Raúl de Tomás new player of Rayo Vallecano 2017–18]. Rayo Vallecano (in Spanish). 1 September 2017. Retrieved 1 September 2017.
- "Raúl de Tomás hunde al Lorca como colista" [Raúl de Tomás sinks Lorca into last place]. ABC (in Spanish). 27 January 2018. Retrieved 8 June 2018.
- "Raúl De Tomás: "Hay que ser realistas y seguir confiando"" [Raúl de Tomás: "We have to be realistic and maintain confidence"]. La Vanguardia (in Spanish). 19 February 2018. Retrieved 8 June 2018.
- "Un 'hat trick' de Raúl de Tomás coloca líder al Rayo Vallecano" [A Raúl de Tomás hat-trick puts Rayo Vallecano in first place]. La Opinión de Tenerife (in Spanish). 18 March 2018. Retrieved 8 June 2018.
- "Raúl de Tomás: "Siempre seré del Rayito, como lo fui de niño"" [Raúl de Tomás: "I will always be a Rayito fan, like I was as a kid"]. La Vanguardia (in Spanish). 5 June 2018. Retrieved 8 June 2018.
- "Raúl de Tomás, Mejor Jugador de LaLiga 1|2|3 en febrero" [Raúl de Tomás, best LaLiga 1|2|3 player in February]. La Liga (in Spanish). 15 March 2018. Retrieved 17 March 2018.
- "Raúl de Tomás, Mejor Jugador de LaLiga 1|2|3 en abril" [Raúl de Tomás, best LaLiga 1|2|3 player in April]. La Liga (in Spanish). 11 May 2018. Retrieved 13 May 2018.
- "Raúl de Tomás nuevo jugador del Rayo Vallecano". Rayo Vallecano (in Spanish). 24 August 2018. Retrieved 24 August 2018.
- "Official announcement: Raúl de Tomás". Real Madrid CF (in Spanish). 24 August 2018. Retrieved 24 August 2018.
- "1–5. El Alavés se impone con comodidad al despropósito del Rayo" [1–5. Alavés best Rayo disarray easily]. La Vanguardia (in Spanish). 22 September 2018. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- "Rayo top Celta 4–2 on De Tomas hat trick". EFE. 12 January 2019. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
- "Welcome, Raúl de Tomás!". S.L. Benfica. 3 July 2019. Retrieved 3 July 2019.
- "Official Announcement: Raúl de Tomás". Real Madrid CF. 3 July 2019. Retrieved 3 July 2019.
- "Benfica stick five past Sporting in season curtain-raiser". PortuGOAL. 4 August 2019. Retrieved 5 August 2019.
- "Zenit grind down Benfica in 3–1 home win". Euronews. 3 October 2019. Retrieved 7 November 2019.
- Pereira, António M.; Ferreira, Filipe António (4 October 2019). "Imposição da UEFA "obriga" Benfica a mudar o nome da camisola de De Tomas" [UEFA ruling "obliges" Benfica to change the name on De Tomas's shirt]. Correio da Manhã (in Portuguese). Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- Posada, Arturo (2 October 2016). "Raúl de Tomás, resiliencia y talento" [Raúl de Tomás, resilience and talent]. El Norte de Castilla (in Spanish). Retrieved 29 June 2019.
- "Rubén de Tomás, nuevo fichaje de la U. D. Sanse" [Rubén de Tomás, new signing for U. D. Sanse]. UD San Sebastián de los Reyes (in Spanish). 21 August 2019. Retrieved 10 September 2019.