The REWE Group is a German diversified retail and tourism co-operative group based in Cologne, Germany. The name REWE comes from Revisionsverband der Westkauf-Genossenschaften", meaning "Western Buying Co-operatives Auditing Association". The most important companies under the umbrella of the REWE Group operate under the REWE-Zentral AG and REWE-Zentralfinanz eG names. The basis of the co-operative trade group consists of a network of independent retailers. In the 2017 financial year, the REWE Group had total external sales of €57.8 billion. The REWE Group is the second largest supermarket chain in Germany behind EDEKA.
|Cooperative, Joint-stock company|
|Founded||1927 (current form 1972)|
|Lionel Souque, CEO|
Heinz-Bert Zander, Chairman
|Products||Department stores, Supermarkets, Convenience stores, Cash&Carry, Hypermarkets, Home improvement, etc.|
|Revenue||€50.6 billion (2013)|
|491,400,000 euro (2017)|
|337,800,000 euro (2017)|
|Total assets||19,506,400,000 euro (31 December 2017)|
Number of employees
|329,418 + Severin (2013)|
- REWE – A supermarket chain in Germany with 3,300 stores.
- BILLA – A supermarket chain with more than 1,000 stores in Austria (is the market leader in the Austrian foodstuffs trade) and 400 stores in 8 other European countries.
- Penny – A discount supermarket chain with 3,000 stores in Germany, Austria, Italy, Romania, Hungary, Czech Republic .
- XXL Mega Discount – A discount hypermarket chain in Romania.
- nahkauf – A convenience store operator in Germany.
- toom BauMarkt – A DIY/home improvement chain with 250 stores located in Germany.
- MERKUR – A supermarket chain with 100 stores in Austria.
- Standa – A supermarket chain with 158 stores in Italy (sold to Carrefour).
- BIPA – A health and beauty retail chain with 560 stores in Austria and 58 stores in Croatia.
- Kaufpark – A supermarket chain with 120 stores in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
- Furr's Grocery Stores – A supermarket chain in Texas and New Mexico, U.S., owned by REWE from 1979 to 1990.
- Palink – A supermarket chain in Lithuania.
DER Touristik is the tourism division of Rewe Group:
- Tour operator brands: ITS, Jahn Reisen, Tjaereborg, Dertour, Meier’s Weltreisen and ADAC Reisen  and clevertours.com
- Hotel brands: lti Hotels, Club Calimera and PrimaSol Hotels
Country ranking in 2006Edit
|Country||No. of Stores||Sales (million euros)|
|Czech Republic||245||844 M€|
- *Sales of retail activities
In 2013, the REWE Group founded a subsidiary named REWE Digital, which is responsible for all strategic online activities. The group also acquired the ecommerce platform vendor commercetools and Zooroyal, a commerce website for animal food and pet supplies.
Cassis de DijonEdit
- ADAC Reisen – Specialist for mobile holidays
- Gretler, Corinne. "Kuoni Sells European Tour Operating Business to Rewe Group", Bloomberg Business, 22 June 2015. Accessed 7 July 2015.
- "REWE digital - Provider of online solutions in markets relevant to REWE Group". Retrieved August 29, 2019.
- "REWE Digital acquires e-commerce software provider commercetools GmbH". March 31, 2015. Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- "ZooRoyal - der Onlineshop für Ihr Haustier". Retrieved August 29, 2019.