Rewe (stylized as REWE; German pronunciation: [ˈʁeːvə]) is a supermarket chain in Germany and the main brand of Rewe Group headquartered in Cologne. The name originated from an abbreviation of the original name "Revisionsverband der Westkauf-Genossenschaften" (Audit union for Westkauf-Cooperatives). With about 3,300 stores is second largest food retailer after Edeka in Germany.
In 2011 the company started a delivery service with a test run in Frankfurt am Main, which was gradually expanded to locations throughout Germany. Rewe was with this approach a pioneer in online trading with food in Germany. As of 2015 they have publicised plans for investing more heavily in their online presence.
Their own store brand products are branded "ja!" (Discounter-price), "REWE Beste Wahl" ("Normal" price), "REWE Feine Welt" (High price, special items), "REWE Bio" (Organic), "REWE Regional" and "REWE to go".
- "Unternehmensregister". Bundesanzeiger Verlag. 1 March 2018.
- "Germany Update: Lidl's Growth Targets, Metro and REWE", Retail Analysis, 19 June 2015. Accessed 7 June 2015.
- "Unsere REWE Eigenmarken". www.rewe.de (in German). Retrieved 27 May 2019.
- "1. FC Köln | REWE". fc.de (Memento from 2020-09-29 in Internet Archive) (in German). Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- Official website (in German)