RC Willey Home Furnishings
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
RC Willey Home Furnishings (often called just RC Willey) is an American home furnishings company with stores in Utah, Idaho, Nevada and California. It was founded by Rufus Call Willey in 1932 when he started selling Hotpoint Brand appliances door-to-door in Syracuse, Utah. RC Willey is a retail store that specializes in furniture, electronics, home appliances, mattresses, and flooring. It is currently owned by Berkshire Hathaway.
|Founded||1932Syracuse, Utah, United Statesin|
|Founder||Rufus Call Willey|
|Western United States|
|William H. Child (Chairman)|
Scott Hymas (CEO)
Jeff Child (President)
Curtis Child (CFO)
Rufus Call (RC) Willey started selling Hotpoint Brand appliances door-to-door in 1932. Employed by the local electric company, he conducted his small appliance business from the back of his red pick-up truck on the side. To guarantee customer satisfaction while electricity was still so new, Willey would lend out appliances for a week so that people could try them out. He also let them finance the purchases in installments over a three-year period, payable at harvest time. His business continued to grow, and in 1950 he built his first store, right next door to his home in Syracuse.
In 1954, Willey left the company due to terminal cancer. William H. Child, who had married Willey's daughter Darlene three years earlier, took over the business. He, along with his brother Sheldon Child, worked over the next 40 years to grow and expand the business. William Child is credited with adding furniture to the company's appliance offerings. Multiple stores were built along the Wasatch Front, and RC Willey became one of the best known Home Furnishings retailer in the state of Utah.
Berkshire Hathaway, Inc., the holding company led by billionaire investor Warren Buffett, acquired RC Willey on May 24, 1995.
Chief financial officer Scott L. Hymas, who had been with the company since 1987, succeeded Bill Child as CEO in February 2001. Child remained chairman. At the same time, Bill Child's nephew, Jeffrey S. Child, became the company's president.
Today, RC Willey is still family operated, and has 7 stores located in Utah, with additional stores in Idaho, Nevada and California. The company is known for its furniture, electronics, appliances, mattresses, and flooring. It also has in-store credit and own brand credit cards. It is closed on Sundays and most major National Holidays.
- 1932: Rufus Call Willey begins selling appliances door-to-door.
- 1950: RC Willey opens its first store in Syracuse, Utah.
- 1954: William H. Child takes over the business.
- 1969: A second store opens in Murray, Utah.
- 1990: Six stores have sales of $100 million.
- 1995: Berkshire Hathaway, Inc. acquires the company.
- 1999: RC Willey expands outside Utah with Meridian, Idaho, store.
- 2001: RC Willey's first Las Vegas store opens.
- 2005: RC Willey continues expansion in Nevada and into California.
- 2014: RC Willey closes its Taylorsville and West Jordan Outlet stores and opens a new store in Draper, Utah.
- 2018: RC Willey opens new store at 8340 Delta Shores Cir S, Sacramento, CA 95832
RC Willey claims that charitable giving is an important part of their mission "to become the finest home furnishings company in America." With this mission statement in mind, the management and associates of RC Willey are asked to serve in their communities where they work and live.
- "BERKSHIRE HATHAWAY INC". www.berkshirehathaway.com.
- "LINKS TO BERKSHIRE HATHAWAY SUB. COMPANIES". www.berkshirehathaway.com.
- https://www.lhmauto.com/wp-content/themes/DealerInspireDealerTheme/images/logo.png, United States. "Larry H. Miller Dealerships Group - New & Used Car Dealers". Larry H. Miller Dealerships.
- Group, Mark Miller Auto. "Mark Miller Auto Group - New Subaru's & Toyota's for sale in Salt Lake City, Murray, and Sandy, Utah". www.markmiller.com.
- "Big O Tires - Tires, Wheels and Routine Auto Service Since 1962!". www.bigotires.com.
- Intermountian Distribution Center "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-05-10. Retrieved 2009-11-21.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Nevada Distribution Center "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-01-06. Retrieved 2009-11-21.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Rocklin Distribution Center "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-03-06. Retrieved 2009-11-21.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-03-29. Retrieved 2009-11-21.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)