|Directed by||Hitoshi Matsumoto|
|Edited by||Yoshitaka Honda|
Drafthouse Films (US)|
Warner Bros. (Japan)
Ordinary businessman Takafumi Katayama signs a contract to join a mysterious BDSM club where various dominatrixes, each with their own specialty skill, will attack and humiliate him in public. The contract lasts for one year and no cancellation is allowed. At first, Takafumi is greatly pleased by his membership, but when the club's activities start to intrude into his home life, Takafumi must find a way to protect his family and himself from more than just humiliation.
The film features a subplot in which a group of confused people are watching Takafumi's story, a film-within-a-film directed by an elderly man who claims that one must have lived 100 years to understand its true brilliance.
Rob Nelson of Variety, said in his review that "If a dominatrix is one who takes total control of her passive partner, then "R100" is the cinematic equivalent of a kinky femme fatale in black leather and stiletto heels, cracking a whip and a smile." Deborah Young in her review for The Hollywood Reporter praised the film by saying that "It’s hard to remember a film about S&M as funny as this one, or one as beautifully and weirdly imagined." Colin Covert of Minneapolis Star Tribune gave the film three stars by saying that ""To call this Midnight Movie entry "not for everyone" is understating it. But connoisseurs of weird, twisted sex comedy will revel in its transgressive, audacious mischief." Katie Rife of The A.V. Club gave the film a B+.
The film premiered on September 12, 2013 on the Toronto International Film Festival and was released on March 3, 2015 on Blu-ray Disc in a 1080p video format and DVD over Drafthouse Films.
- "Drafthouse Films Acquires Hitoshi Matusmoto's Ratings Satire 'R100' For North America". Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- "Hitoshi Matsumoto's 'R100' Set for October Release in Japan". Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- "Space interviews R100 director Hitoshi Matsumoto". Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- "Toronto Review: Inexplicably Wacky Ratings Satire 'R100,' From Hitoshi Matsumoto, Is Like 'Fight Club' Directed By Luis Buñuel". Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- "Exclusive Toronto Trailer Debut: Matsumoto's 'R100'". Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- "R100: Hitoshi Matsumoto: A Man Who Sold His Soul To Comedy". Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- "R100 (2013)". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- "Film Review: 'R100'". Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- "R100: Toronto Review". Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- "What to see at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Film Festival". Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- Rife, Katie (January 22, 2015). "R100 Is a Comedy That Plays Without a Safe Word". The A.V. Club.
- "R100 Toronto Review". The Hollywood Reporter. January 22, 2015.
- "R100 FANTASTICA Blu-ray". Fangoria. January 22, 2015.
- "R100". Drafthouse Films. January 22, 2015.