R. N. Ravi
Ravindra Narayana Ravi is a former Indian bureaucrat serving as the current and 15th Governor of Tamil Nadu. He served as the 18th Governor of Nagaland from 1 August 2019 to 9 September 2021.
Ravindra Narayana Ravi
|15th Governor of Tamil Nadu|
|Assumed office |
18 September 2021
|Chief Minister||M. K. Stalin|
|Preceded by||Banwarilal Purohit|
|18th Governor of Nagaland|
1 August 2019 – 17 September 2021
|Chief Minister||Neiphiu Rio|
|Preceded by||Padmanabha Acharya|
|Succeeded by||Jagdish Mukhi (additional charge)|
|Governor of Meghalaya|
18 December 2019 – 26 January 2020
|Chief Minister||Conrad Sangma|
|Preceded by||Tathagata Roy|
|Succeeded by||Tathagata Roy|
|Deputy National Security Advisor of India|
05 October 2018 – 31 July 2019
|Born||citation needed]3 April 1952 [|
Patna, Bihar, India
|Spouse(s)||Smt. Laxmi Ravi|
|Residence||Raj Bhavan, Tamil Nadu|
He was an IPS 1976 batch officer from Kerala cadre who had retired as Special Director in Intelligence Bureau in 2012. From 2014, he is the interlocutor for talks between NSCN-IM and the Government of India.
Governor of NagalandEdit
Ravi was appointed as the Governor of Nagaland on 20 July 2019 by the order of the President of India, Ram Nath Kovind. The Nagaland Peace Accord between Naga's and Indian government was achieved during his stint in August 2015. It's a major breakthrough for achieving peace in the region since the 1997 ceasefire agreement.
As interlocutor, Ravi had a fallout with the Isak Muivah-led National Socialist Council of Nagaland (NSCN-IM) in 2020 with whom he manoeuvred the signing of the 2015 Framework Agreement after he allegedly misinterpreted the agreement and tried to manipulate it. Subsequently, the NSCN (IM) sought him removed as interlocutor. Ravi was also perceived to be targeting the NCSN (IM) group while being soft on its rival Naga National Political Groups comprising seven extremist groups.
After his appointment to Tamil Nadu, the Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party president Chingwang Konyak said the Nagaland government was not happy with the way Ravi functioned and said he interfered in the affairs of a popular government. Journalists of the Kohima Press Club (KPC), boycotted the state farewell programme Ravi to show their resentment when he was shifted to Tamil Nadu since Ravi refused to interact with the media despite numerous approaches.
Governor of Tamil NaduEdit
On 9 September 2021, Ravi has been appointed as the Governor of Tamil Nadu by President of India Ram Nath Kovind. He took charge as Governer of Tamil Nadu on 18th September 2021. Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. K. Stalin greeted Ravi and welcomed him. However, his appointment was questioned by Indian National Congress and Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi, allies to the ruling party Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam claiming that there is an ulterior motive in his appointment.
- "RN Ravi Sworn In As Nagaland Governor". NDTV.com. Indo-Asian News Service. 1 August 2019. Retrieved 16 September 2019.
- Scroll Staff. "RN Ravi, interlocutor for Naga peace talks, is new Nagaland governor". Scroll.in.
- "Nagaland Governor R.N. Ravi shifted to Tamil Nadu; Banwarilal Purohit moved to Punjab". The Hindu. 9 September 2021. Retrieved 13 September 2021.
- Kalita, Prabin. "Meet your governor: R N Ravi, an officer, and tough gentleman". The Times of India. Retrieved 13 September 2021.
- Singh, Vijaita (15 July 2017). "Meet R.N. Ravi, who is mediating peace with the Nagas". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 17 October 2020.
- "Exclusive | Nagas Will Never Join Indian Union Nor Accept India s Constitution : NSCN (I-M) Chief". thewire.in. Retrieved 17 October 2020.
- "Uncertainty regarding Naga peace process prevails as guv RN Ravi shifts to TN". Hindustan Times. 10 September 2021. Retrieved 15 September 2021.
- "Relief in Nagaland after R.N. Ravi's transfer". The Hindu. Special Correspondent. 10 September 2021. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 15 September 2021.CS1 maint: others (link)
- Ambrocia, Medolenuo (14 September 2021). "Nagaland journalists boycott Guv RN Ravi's state farewell ceremony". EastMojo. Retrieved 15 September 2021.
- Staff, Scroll. "Nagaland Governor RN Ravi transferred to Tamil Nadu". Scroll.in. Retrieved 15 September 2021.
- "Stalin greets RN Ravi, says TN welcomes him". outlookindia.com. Retrieved 15 September 2021.
- "TN political leaders question former IB officer RN Ravi's appointment as Governor". The News Minute. 11 September 2021. Retrieved 15 September 2021.
- "DMK allies oppose R N Ravi's appointment as Tamil Nadu Governor". Deccan Herald. 12 September 2021. Retrieved 13 September 2021.