Răzvan Gabriel Marin (Romanian pronunciation: [rəzˈvan ɡabriˈel maˈrin]; born 23 May 1996) is a Romanian professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for Dutch club Ajax and the Romania national team.
Marin with Romania in 2019
|Full name||Răzvan Gabriel Marin|
|Date of birth||23 May 1996|
|Place of birth||Bucharest, Romania|
|Height||1.77 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|2002–2009||Pro Luceafărul București|
|2009–2013||Gheorghe Hagi Academy|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 16 May 2019|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 8 September 2019
Marin began his senior career in 2013 with local club Viitorul Constanța at the age of 17. He established himself as a first-team regular, and earned a move to Standard Liège at the start of 2017. Two and a half years later, he was transferred to Dutch team Ajax for a reported fee of €12.5 million.
Early years / Viitorul ConstanțaEdit
Born in Bucharest, Marin started playing football at the age of 6 with local Pro Luceafărul, and joined the academy of Viitorul Constanța seven years later. He made his professional debut with the latter club on 18 October 2013, in a 0–4 Liga I away loss to FC Steaua București.
Marin scored his first league goal in a 2–1 away victory over CFR Cluj, on 15 March 2015. In December 2016, aged just 20, daily newspaper Gazeta Sporturilor announced that he came third for the 2016 Romanian Footballer of the Year award, behind Denis Alibec and Nicolae Stanciu.
During his spell in Constanța, Marin amassed competitive totals of 85 games and ten goals.
On 20 January 2017, Marin signed a four-and-a-half-year contract with Belgian side Standard Liège. Romanian press had initially reported the transfer value at €2.4 million, but Viitorul stated that the sum was lower than €2 million and that it retained interest on the capital gain of a potential future transfer. He made his first Belgian First Division A appearance two days later, coming on as an 80th-minute substitute in a 0–3 loss to Club Brugge at the Stade Maurice Dufrasne.
On 8 April 2017, Marin scored his first goal for Les Rouches in a 2–2 league draw with Sint-Truiden. On 20 September, he netted once and also provided an assist in a 4–0 victory over Heist for the Belgian Cup; in December, he scored in league fixtures against Waasland-Beveren, Sint-Truiden and Kortrijk respectively. On 3 February 2018, Marin scored the final goal of a 3–0 success over Lokeren only two minutes after replacing Gojko Cimirot. One month later, he assisted all of his team's goals as they won 3–2 against Mechelen, a home game where he also missed a late penalty. On 17 March, he was a starter in the 1–0 win for the Belgian Cup Final against Genk.
Standard played league winner Club Brugge in the Belgian Super Cup on 22 July 2018, with Marin being once again in the starting eleven, however his team lost the match 1–2. He recorded his first European appearance for Standard in the UEFA Champions League's third qualifying round 2–2 home draw with Dutch side Ajax, on 7 August. Marin then played all six matches in the group stage of the UEFA Europa League, as his team finished third behind Sevilla and FC Krasnodar.
Marin's good display throughout the year earned him the Romanian Footballer of the Year award at the 2018 Gala Fotbalului Românesc, on 3 December. On the 21st that month, he finished second for the same trophy awarded by the Gazeta Sporturilor newspaper. Marin netted the first goal of 2019 on 3 February, in an eventual 2–1 victory against rivals Anderlecht.
On 4 April 2019, it was announced that Ajax signed Marin on a five-year deal for a reported transfer fee of €12.5 million, with the player due to join the squad in the summer.￼ The sum was the third-highest ever paid by the Dutch club, and it also made Marin the third-most expensive Romanian footballer behind Adrian Mutu and Cristian Chivu.
In September 2016, 20-year-old Marin was selected in Romania's senior squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier against Montenegro. On 8 October, for the same competition, he earned his first cap and scored a goal in a 5–0 away victory over Armenia.
Style of playEdit
- As of match played 18 October 2019
- As of 8 September 2019
- As of 8 October 2016 (Romania score listed first, score column indicates score after each Marin goal)
|1||8 October 2016||Vazgen Sargsyan, Yerevan, Armenia||1||Armenia||3–0||5–0||2018 FIFA World Cup qualification|
- "Debut de vis la națională pentru puştiul-minune al Viitorului! Răzvan Marin a marcat un gol de toată frumuseţea" [Dream debut at the national team for Viitorul's wonderkid! Răzvan Marin scored an amazing goal]. Gazeta Sporturilor (in Romanian). 8 October 2016. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- "Povestea lui Răzvan Marin, noul puști-minune al naționalei României. Antrenorul care l-a descoperit: "La 10 ani avea calități de lider"" [The story of Răzvan Marin, new wonderkid of the Romania national team. The coach who discovered him: "He had leadership skills at the age of 10"]. Libertatea (in Romanian). 9 October 2016. Retrieved 21 January 2017.
- "Steaua – Viitorul Constanţa: 4–0 / A opta victorie din nouă meciuri pentru campioană" [Steaua – Viitorul Constanța: 4–0 / The eighth victory out of nine matches for the champion] (in Romanian). Știrile TVR. 18 October 2013. Retrieved 22 January 2017.
- "CFR Cluj - FC Viitorul 1-2. Răzvan Marin, fiul lui Petre Marin, a reuşit primul gol!" [CFR Cluj - FC Viitorul 1–2. Răzvan Marin, the son of Petre Marin, scored his first goal!] (in Romanian). Telekom Sport. 15 March 2015. Retrieved 4 March 2018.
- "SUPERLATIVELE GSP 2016 Denis Alibec a fost ales fotbalistul anului: "Ce a câștigat Stanciu cu Steaua ca să mă depășească?"" [GSP SUPERLATIVES 2016 Denis Alibec was chosen footballer of the year: "What did Stanciu won with Steaua to surpass me?"]. Gazeta Sporturilor (in Romanian). 22 December 2016. Retrieved 21 January 2017.
- "Razvan MARIN joins the "Rouches"". Standard Liège. 20 January 2017. Retrieved 20 January 2017.
- "Răzvan Marin, prezentat oficial la Standard Liege!" [Răzvan Marin, official presentation at Standard Liège!] (in Romanian). Digi Sport. 20 January 2017. Retrieved 20 January 2017.
- "Au bătut palma! Răzvan Marin s-a înțeles cu o nouă echipă și astăzi semnează contractul » Suma uriașă primită de Hagi + prima reacție" [They agreed the deal! Răzvan Marin came to terms with a new team and will sign the contract today » Huge sum received by Hagi + first reaction]. Gazeta Sporturilor (in Romanian). 18 January 2017. Retrieved 20 January 2017.
- "Răzvan Marin a costat SUB două milioane de euro! Anunțul făcut de Viitorul" [Răzvan Marin cost less than two million! The announcement made by Viitorul] (in Romanian). Sport.ro. 31 January 2017. Retrieved 3 March 2017.
- "Sterk Club Brugge wint ruim in Luik en duwt Standard met de neus op de feiten" [Strong Club Brugge win easily in Liège and leave Standard to face the music]. Voetbalkrant (in Dutch). 22 January 2017. Retrieved 23 January 2017.
- "Răzvan Marin a marcat un gol pentru Standard Liege în egalul, 2-2, cu St. Truiden" [Răzvan Marin scored a goal for Standard Liège in the 2–2 draw with St. Truiden] (in Romanian). Mediafax. 8 April 2017. Retrieved 9 April 2017.
- "Gol spectaculos reuşit de Răzvan Marin! Românul a oferit şi o pasă de gol în victoria din Cupa Belgiei" [Amazing goal scored by Răzvan Marin! The Romanian also offered an assist in the Belgian Cup victory] (in Romanian). ProSport. 21 September 2017. Retrieved 23 September 2017.
- "Răzvan Marin este de neoprit! A marcat al treilea gol în ultimele patru meciuri » Standard rămâne fără victorie în ultimele 5 meciuri din campionat" [Razvan Marin is unstoppable! He scored his third goal in the last four games » Standard remains without victory in the last 5 league matches]. Gazeta Sporturilor (in Romanian). 27 December 2017. Retrieved 4 March 2018.
- "GOOOL Răzvan Marin! Românul a intrat pe teren de pe bancă şi a marcat în minutul 90" [GOAL Răzvan Marin! The Romanian came from the bench and scored in the 90th minute] (in Romanian). ProSport. 3 February 2018. Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- "Răzvan Marin, un nou super-meci pentru Standard Liege. Spectacol în Belgia" [Răzvan Marin, another great match for Standard Liège. Show in Belgium] (in Romanian). Digi Sport. 3 March 2018. Retrieved 4 March 2018.
- "Emond knikt Standard na verlengingen naar bekerwinst" [Emond nods Standard after extra time to win cup] (in Dutch). Sporza. 17 March 2018. Retrieved 8 August 2018.
- "FC Bruges a învins echipa lui Răzvan Marin, Standard Liege, scor 2-1, şi a câştigat Supercupa Belgiei" [FC Bruges defeated Răzvan Marin's team, Standard Liège, and won the Begian Super Cup] (in Romanian). News.ro. 22 July 2018. Retrieved 8 August 2018.
- "Standard Liège 2–2 Ajax". UEFA.com. 7 August 2018. Retrieved 8 August 2018.
- "Răzvan Marin a fost ales jucătorul anului la Gala Fotbalului Românesc. Dan Ștefănescu, cel mai bun comentator" [Răzvan Marin has been chosen the Footballer of the Year at the Gala Fotbalului Românesc. Dan Ștefănescu, the Best Commentator] (in Romanian). Digi Sport. 3 December 2018. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- "Romania - Player of the Year Awards". Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation. Retrieved 3 January 2019.
- "Răzvan Marin, gol de play-station în derby-ul cu Anderlecht. Nicio șansă pentru portar: "A tras cu tunul"" [Răzvan Marin, PlayStation goal in the derby with Anderlecht. No chance for the goalkeeper: "He took a cannon shot"] (in Romanian). Digi Sport. 3 February 2019. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- "Ajax sign highly-rated starlet Razvan Marin to replace Barcelona-bound Frenkie De Jong". The Independent. 4 April 2019. Retrieved 5 April 2019.
- "Ajax contracteert Razvan Marin" [Ajax signs Răzvan Marin]. AFC Ajax (in Dutch). 4 April 2019. Retrieved 5 April 2019.
- "Ajax bevestigt komst Roemeense aanwinst Marin" [Ajax confirms the arrival of Romanian Marin]. Algemeen Dagblad (in Dutch). 4 April 2019. Retrieved 5 April 2019.
Marin is de op twee na duurste aankoop uit de geschiedenis van Ajax, na Miralem Sulejmani en Daley Blind.
- "(P) Superclasament: cei mai scumpi 10 fotbalişti români!" [(P) Super ranking: the 10 most expensive Romanian footballers!] (in Romanian). ProSport. 5 April 2019. Retrieved 5 April 2019.
- "Daum names first squad as Romania coach". Reuters. 13 August 2016. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "Fiul lui Petre Marin, Răzvan, e lider la juniorii Academiei Hagi » Căpitan la 15 ani" [Son of Petre Marin, Răzvan, Hagi Academy's leading junior » Captain at age 15]. Gazeta Sporturilor (in Romanian). 9 September 2011. Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- Răzvan Marin at Soccerway. Retrieved 18 October 2019.
- "Răzvan Marin". European Football. Retrieved 26 March 2017.
- "Standard victorious in Belgian Cup Final". vrt. 18 March 2018. Retrieved 3 August 2019.
- "Ajax have lost Frenkie De Jong and Matthijs de Ligt but a new batch of wonderkids are ready to fire them to glory". talksport. 29 July 2019. Retrieved 3 August 2019.