Qureyshi (also known as Qureshi, Quraishi, Qurayshi, Qureshy, Quraishy, Qoraishi, Qoreshi, Koraishi, Kureshi, Kureshy, Kureishi, Coreish) is a Muslim family name, though in English it has many spelling variations but in Arabic, there is a single spelling as " قريشي ", which means part of Qureish Family (Arabic: قريش).
|Meaning||Member of the Quraish tribe|
|Region of origin||Makkah, Hijaz, modern day Arabia|
|Variant form(s)||Qureshi, Kureshi, Qurashi, Quraishy, Qureishy, Qureyshi, Qurayshi, Quraishi, Qureshy, Quraishy, Qoraishi, Qoreshi, Koraishi, Kureshi, Kureshy, Kureishi, Kourashi, Coreishi|
- For people with the surname, see Qureshi (surname)
Most bearers of the name, by far, are in Pakistan (82%: 1,210,000, out of 1,470,000 worldwide), where it is the ninth commonest surname. India has the second most (11%: 162,000), followed by Saudi Arabia (2.5%: 36,300) and England (0.65%: 9,580).
According to the Dictionary of American Family Names, the Qureshis are descendants of the Quraish, the leading tribe in Mecca at the time of the birth of the Islamic prophet Muhammad (ad 570); Muhammad's father was a member of it. The Quraish at first opposed Muhammad’s teachings and are said to have persecuted him and his followers, but by the time of his death they had begun to convert to the new faith and played an important role in bringing Arabia under the banner of Islam.
There would be more Qureshis in Sindh because the Arabs settled down and married local women. The first form of contact between the Arab people and modern-day Pakistan originally came in 711 in Sindh.
- "Qureshi Family Information". Qureshifamily.info. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- "Qureshi Surname Meaning & Statistics". Forebears. Retrieved 31 March 2017. Data as of 2014. Frequency counts rounded to 3 significant digits; percentages to 2 significant digits. See Talk page.
- Dictionary of American Family Names. 2013, Oxford University Press
- People of India Bihar Volume XVI Part One, edited by S. Gopal & Hetukar Jha, pages 501 to 505, Seagull Books
|This page lists people with the surname Qureshi. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|