Queenstown Road (Battersea) railway station
Queenstown Road is a railway station in inner south-west London, 2 miles 50 chains (4.2 km) south-west of London Waterloo, between Vauxhall and Clapham Junction. It is a short walk from Battersea Park station and Battersea Park to the west. It has three platforms, two of which are in use by all stopping services related to the Waterloo to Reading Line: its branch services to Weybridge (via Hounslow) and two separate sets of bidirectional Waterloo-to-Waterloo services via Hounslow using the Hounslow Loop and via Kingston using the Kingston Loop. In additional 50% of maximum peak hour trains serving the Shepperton Branch Line call at the station.
|Local authority||London Borough of Wandsworth|
|Managed by||South Western Railway|
|Number of platforms||3 (2 in use)|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|1 November 1877||Opened as Queen's Road (Battersea)|
|12 May 1980||Renamed Queenstown Road (Battersea)|
|London transport portal|
The station was opened on 1 November 1877, by the London and South Western Railway, as Queen's Road (Battersea). The entrance still bears the name Queen's Road, not to be confused with Queens Road Peckham, Walthamstow Queen's Road or Queensway Underground station, which was also originally called Queens Road.
The station was renamed Queenstown Road (Battersea) on 12 May 1980. The station's modern entrance and platform signage lacks the "(Battersea)" suffix that appears in timetables and on some maps. The latest "Oyster Rail Services" map produced by Transport for London shows the station as plain "Queenstown Road". On the map produced by the station managers, South West Trains, the station is called "Queenstown Road".
Queenstown Road is on the early stage of the South Western Main Line but with only 2 platforms in use. The off-peak frequency in trains per hour is:
- 8 to London Waterloo
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Vauxhall||South Western Railway
Kingston and Hounslow loop lines
Waterloo to Weybridge via Hounslow
Shepperton Branch Line
- Services coming back from the Kingston Loop (northbound) do not stop at Queenstown Road.
Conversely, clockwise services do not stop at Queenstown Road in the southbound direction but do in the northbound direction.
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 193. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.
- "Transport for London". tfl.gov.uk.
- "Live UK Train Timetables - South West Trains" (PDF). southwesttrains.co.uk. Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 February 2010.
- "Wessex Route Study Final 2015" (PDF). Network Rail. Network Rail. p. 30. Retrieved 2 October 2016.