This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
Queen's Lane Coffee House is a historic coffee house established by Cirques Jobson, a Levantine Jew from Syria. Dating back to 1654, it claims to be the oldest continually serving coffee house in Europe although, it has only been on the present site, (Oxford, England) since 1970. The coffee house is where Jeremy Bentham first developed the concept of utilitarianism.
The coffee house is situated on the north side of the High Street (at No. 40), on the corner of Queen's Lane, hence the name "Queen's Lane Coffee House". Close by are The Queen's College to the west and St Edmund Hall to the north. It is popular with University of Oxford and Oxford Brookes University students and tourists alike.
In 2009, it rebranded itself as "QL". There is a second, smaller, QL Café and Delicatessen at 126 High Street under the same ownership. Another Café QL (now called Café Bonjour) in Headington was once owned by the same family but was sold years ago.
The café has been owned by the same family since 1983.
It serves a wide range of traditional British dishes such as fish and chips, pies, and the famous full English breakfast. It also offers Turkish and Mediterranean dishes including moussaka, kofte, salads, and vegetarian and Halal alternatives.
- ^ Oxford Jewish Heritage. "Personalities of the exclusion period". Retrieved 12 September 2020.
- ^ "Queen's Lane Coffee House". Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- ^ Stephanie Jenkins. "Oxford History: The High: 39, 40, & 41: Queen's Lane Coffee House". Retrieved 12 September 2020.
- ^ "About Us | Modern Utilitarianism – Utilitarianism.net".
- ^ "Queen's Lane Coffee House". TripAdvisor. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- ^ "Queen's Lane Coffee House". Foursquare. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- Queen's Lane Coffee House website
- Queen's Lane Coffee House information from Daily Information
- Queen's Lane Coffee House information from OxfordCityGuide.com
- Queen's Lane Coffee House information from The Oxford Guide
Coordinates: 51°45′9.8″N 1°15′1.6″W / 51.752722°N 1.250444°W