Queen's Fire Service Medal
The Queen's Fire Service Medal is awarded to members of the fire services in the United Kingdom and Commonwealth of Nations for distinguished service or gallantry. It was introduced on 19 May 1954 when it replaced the King's Fire Service Medal. Recipients may use the post-nominal letters “QFSM.”
|Queen's Fire Service Medal|
QFSM ribbons for Gallantry (left) and Distinguished Service (right)
|Awarded by United Kingdom and Commonwealth|
|Eligibility||Members of the Fire Services|
|Awarded for||'acts of exceptional courage and skill at the cost of their lives' or for the 'exhibition of conspicuous devotion to duty'.|
|Established||19 May 1954|
|Order of Wear|
|Next (higher)||Queen's Police Medal, for Gallantry (QFSM for gallantry)|
Queen's Police Medal, for Distinguished Service (QFSM for service)
|Next (lower)||Royal West African Frontier Force Distinguished Conduct Medal (QFSM for gallantry)|
Queen's Ambulance Service Medal (QFSM for service)
The most common form of the award is the Queen's Fire Service Medal for Distinguished Service. The equivalent medal for gallantry, the Queen's Fire Service Medal for Gallantry, is now rarely awarded. Acts of gallantry in the fire service would, since 1977, normally attract the George Medal or Queen's Gallantry Medal.
- The medal is silver and 36 millimetres in diameter, with the obverse having the profile of Queen Elizabeth II.
- The medal's reverse is a standing figure with a sword and shield, with an inscription of "For Gallantry" or "For Distinguished Fire Service" around the face's side.
- The ribbon is of red with three yellow stripes. The Queen's Fire Service Medal for Gallantry has a single thin blue stripe running through the centre of each yellow stripe.
- "It's An Honour has a new home". Itsanhonour.gov.au. Retrieved 12 October 2017.
- "No. 56878". The London Gazette (Supplement). 17 March 2003. p. 3352.
- "The Queen's Ambulance Service Medal Royal Warrant" (PDF). official-documents.gov.uk. The Stationery Office. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "Wayback Machine". Web.archive.org. 16 January 2010. Archived from the original on 16 January 2010. Retrieved 12 October 2017.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "ODM of the United Kingdom: Queen's Police Medal for Gallantry". Medals.org.uk. Retrieved 12 October 2017.
- "Police & Fire Gallantry Medals". Stephen-stratford.com. Retrieved 12 October 2017.