Qobuz (pronounced 'co-buzz') is a French commercial music streaming and downloading service. It was founded in 2007 by Yves Riesel and has expanded to a limited range of overseas markets, including the United Kingdom, the Netherlands , Germany, Italy and Spain. It is presently on trial in the USA and due to launch in May 2019. It offers a tiered subscription service and, similar to its competitor Tidal, does not provide free-of-charge streaming other than for a trial period.
Qobuz is the first music service in the world to offer 24-Bit Hi-Res files for streaming to its Qobuz Sublime (annual) and Qobuz Studio (monthly) subscribers.
Qobuz currently offers four music streaming services: Qobuz Premium, Qobuz HiFi, Qobuz Studio (a monthly or annual subscription that offers 24 bit streaming) and Qobuz Sublime+ (an annual subscription that offers 24-bit streaming, 24-bit digital downloads at reduced cost in addition to the streaming service). The streaming service can be used via the web-based Qobuz Player, or by using the Qobuz Desktop player which is available for Microsoft Windows and macOS (the Windows version may work under Linux with recent versions of Wine). Qobuz also provides Android and iOS applications, as well as Sonos support.
Qobuz offers digital music streaming in CD quality (FLAC 16-Bit/44.1kHz). Qobuz and Tidal are the only generally available CD quality streaming services (as Deezer Elite is restricted to Sonos users). True third-party HRA (High Resolution Audio) support for Qobuz is provided by Sonic Studio’s Amarra Luxe and Audirvana’s Audirvana Plus native cross–platform applications. Qobuz started supporting the Roon music player in January 2019. These three products provide delivery of uncompressed Qobuz audio streams to the desktop at greater than or equal to “Red Book” (44.1 kHz/16 bit) quality, up to 192 kHz/24 bit, depending on the title selected and what sample rate and bit depth is available on Qobuz.
- Beuve-Méry, Alain. "Qobuz cherche à faire entendre sa voix aux côtés des grands du streaming". Le Monde. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- Cullingford, Martin. "The value of a recording is constantly changing". Gramophone (September 2014).
- "The latest news from your favourite online music service, Qobuz!". The Qobuz Blog. Retrieved 2016-01-21.
- "Xandrie SA: Private Company Information - Businessweek". Businessweek.com. Retrieved 2016-01-21.
- "Qobuz applications – Unlimited Music Subscriptions – Music downloads and streaming". Qobuz. Retrieved 28 November 2015.
- Everard, Andrew. "High-resolution downloads for the same price as MP3s? That's more like it". Gramophone (October 2013).
- Jolly, James. "What a vintage!". Gramophone (December 2014).